Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not receiving hot matches or replies to messages

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Penny

Penny Report 6 May 2019 13:22

Hello

I've not received any hot matches for a very long time and also haven't received replies to messages I've sent members that may have a tree match. Is there something blocking this information coming through to my email address?

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

thank you

Penny

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 May 2019 14:11

Unlikely but check spam folder? I don't think hot matches have been done for ages?

Have the people you have messaged opened them, you will see that the 'envelope' has gone if so.

But since no trees are deleted by GR the tree owners may not have been here for years, may have changed email address, or no longer be interested, or they may have died.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 May 2019 14:14

I'm not sure about the Hot Matches as I haven't had any for quite a few years - but then I haven't added to my tree for ages so I'm not expecting any.

As for messages that you have sent to other members, have you checked to see if the messages have been read? You can do this by going to "Messages" and then clicking on "sent messages". If there is still a green envelope next to the message then it hasn't been read. There are lots of reasons why - people only use the site very rarely or have lost interest, passed away or are ill. Sometimes you may get a reply after several months so don't give up, but I must add that a lot of people who have trees on here have left the site and if they happen to change their email address without letting Genes know then there is no way of Genes letting them know they have a message waiting.

Kath. x

Penny

Penny Report 6 May 2019 14:28

Thank you both for your replies, and quick too! Makes sense about not receiving replies for a while. I wasn't; on here for a good year but have got the "bug" again now and I'm a bit impatient wanting results quicker than is happening.

I'll check the sent messages section.

Best wishes

Penny x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 May 2019 15:44

Most of the people who have trees on here are no longer members, or have changed their email addresses without telling GR

As far as can be deduced, the last time GR bothered with Hot Matches was 2016

Penny

Penny Report 6 May 2019 16:25

Hi Erika

thanks for reply. I think it was 2016 that I last had a hot match which is disappointing.

Problem I now find is that I've got all these tree matches that I'm messaging members about and not getting replies so I'm stuck and not sure what route now to take. I'm kind of at a dead end and not sure which road to take. Just relying on this site isn't taking me any further so I'm disappointed and as a platinum member its a lot of money every year not making progress .

Has anyone else come to a dead end? What is the next step please?

regards

Penny

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 May 2019 16:31

Penny if you want to post some details we will try and help or direct you to the sites which might have the records you need?

Penny

Penny Report 6 May 2019 17:05

Thank you Rose.

I'm stuck at the moment trying to find my great-grandfather Joseph Houghton Ashton born Liverpool 1885 in the 1911 census.

He married my great-grandmother Ellen in 1910 and she and her mother (also Ellen) and her son George are on the 1911 census where I expect them to be living but no mention of Joseph. Could he be at sea as a fisherman? There is a JH Ashton on a passenger list travelling to New York Apr 5th 1911 but how do I know if this is my Joseph? He had a sister who emigrated to America but details are very vague and no one in the family left for me to ask who would remember.

I suppose we all face a dead end some times. I just wish I had asked more questions when my grand father and uncles were alive.

What do other members do when online info dries up?

thank you

Penny

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 May 2019 17:14

First name(s) Joseph Houghton
Last name Ashton
Birth year 1885
Birth day 28
Birth month Jul
Birth town Liverpool
Death year 1917
Death date 12/06/1917
Service number 147. T.S. (Dev)
Rating Engineman.
Service R.N.R.
Ship/unit Hm Trawler Carew Castle
Cause of death Killed or died as a direct result of enemy action.
Cemetery Body not recovered for burial
Location of grave Not recorded
Relatives notified Wife:- Ellen 3 Brick Houses. Pill Milford Haven
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collections from Great Britain, UK None

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 May 2019 17:15

Commonwealth war graves

First name(s) Joseph Houghton
Last name Ashton
Birth year 1886
Age 31
Death year 1917
Death date 12 Jun 1917
Number 147TS
Rank Engineman
Unit H.M. Trawler "carew Castle."
Regiment Royal Naval Reserve
Grave reference 24.
Cemetery or memorial Plymouth Naval Memorial
Burial country United Kingdom
Additional information Son of William and Elizabeth Ashton, of Liverpool; husband of Ellen Ashton, of 3, Brick Houses, Pill, Milford Haven.
Link
https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead
War First World War, 1914-1918
Record set Commonwealth War Graves Commission Debt Of Honour
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collections from Great Britain, UK None

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 May 2019 17:24

You can just about read round the watermarks here for service dates and ships but a copy can be ordered

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8568387

Penny

Penny Report 6 May 2019 17:27

Thank you very much

Penny :)

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 May 2019 17:30

I think he may well have been at sea in 1911,

There are several trees on Ancestry, a couple are private but the one that is public does not him on the 1911 either.

Penny

Penny Report 6 May 2019 17:38

There's no other explanation really. Ok thank you.

I've sent a few messages to members with tree matches so here's hoping. I've also checked messages from a few years back and they are still unread which is a shame as I do feel one or 2 members are linked to me but there is now no way of finding out or accessing their trees.

best wishes

Penny

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 May 2019 17:54

Tree matches aren't necessarily any use anyway, at least in my experience - they're mostly people who just happen to have the same name and year of birth as your ancestor..

Looking at "Search all member trees", there are only two people with a Joseph Ashton born 1886 Liverpool in their trees on GR - Lisa and Mark.

Penny

Penny Report 6 May 2019 18:20

Thank you.

Yes I've emailed both Lisa and Mark previously. Still waiting to hear from Lisa. The envelope is showing as not opened so she's not even read my messages.

Penny

Penny Report 6 May 2019 18:25

Just thinking - if my Joseph was at sea on say a trawler fishing on the night the census was recorded - how is he and others like him recorded in the census over the years. They must be recorded somewhere?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 May 2019 20:19

Generally speaking, if the ship was in a UK port of anchored nearby, the crew would be listed on the census, but not if the ship was out at sea.

Info here:

http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/UKCensuses.html

EDIT: But have just realised that link only mentions 1841-91.

A thread about 1911 census here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=563703.0

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 May 2019 20:43

In 1901 Joseph is an apprentice blacksmith.

He joined the RN Reserve in 1908 - so chances are that he would have been out at sea somewhere in 1911 - not fishing, but in the RNR.

Joseph Houghton Ashton
in the Web: UK, Royal Naval Reserve Service Records Index, 1860-1955
Name: Joseph Houghton Ashton
Birth Date: 28 Jul 1885
Birth Place: Liverpool, Lancashire
Date: 1908-1955
Service Number: TS 147

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8568387
(Link already posted by Rambling.)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 May 2019 00:49

I've not been disappointed that Hot Matches and Trumps have disappeared.

This was one of the last that I got ............

Mary Smith
Y.O.B: 1779
Place: Launton, Oxfordshire
Children: 4

with

Elizabeth Powell
Y.O.B: 1685
Place: Towcester, Northamptonshire

Can you see any connection between them????????????

:-D :-D :-D