Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage dissolved?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KeithG

KeithG Report 21 Mar 2022 16:02

On the marriage certificate of Eric Keith Martin (born ~1924, married 1980 for the second time) it says his previous marriage was dissolved.

I have yet to find that prior marriage. The candidate with Pritty in 1942 turns out not to be him.

Where can one find records of dissolved marriages please?

greyghost

greyghost Report 21 Mar 2022 16:32

Google 'divorce records" - amongst other results -

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/divorce/

Particularly relevant probably

4.1 What proportion of case files survive?
The survival rate of divorce case files is:

1858-1927: almost 100%
1928-1937: 80%
After 1937: less than 0.2%
No case files survive from the district registries set up in 1927.

Contact NRS for Scotland

greyghost

greyghost Report 21 Mar 2022 16:37

Born 1924 in Tonbridge mmn Constable?

Was the 1980 marriage in Scotland? Listed there as Eric Keith Martin?

Possible his first marriage just as Eric?, in which case many possibles. Could have been anywhere, even a British Armed Forces, although only a 1947 Eric one in Germany

If Eric K, there is a 1942 Surrey SW, two 1951 - in Dartford and Tonbridge, 1956 Suffolk.
Tonbridge would go with the Birth RD and a 1961 marriage of a potential sibling.

KeithG

KeithG Report 21 Mar 2022 17:03

Thank you greyghost!
I don't know where the first marriage was. I'm fairly sure that I have found the right person born in Tonbridge. His marriage record to Phyllis Saunders gives his father as John James Martin, occupation school caretaker, which matches the John James Martin in Tonbridge in C1939 (although Eric isn't shown, just a redacted record which I suppose must be him).
I haven't seen a marriage in Scotland, I'd be interested to see it if you have access?
The 1942 marriage I had found (Pritty) gave the bride's address as Scotland. But, as I said, that wasn't him!
I ordered the 1942 Vera Nash certificate earlier today.
The survival rate of the relevant dissolution of marriage records doesn't look very hopeful :-(

greyghost

greyghost Report 21 Mar 2022 17:21

I had missed seeing the 1980 marriage in Surrey NW.

(You can see the Scottish marriage search result on the Scotland's People website, but there is a 1957 birth up there. The marriage certificate would have to be ordered).

There is that Tonbridge marriage in 1951

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 21 Mar 2022 17:24

KeithG -

The 1980 Martin/Saunders marriage you mention was in Surrey.

The 1980 Eric Keith Martin marriage in Scotland was in Bonnyrigg & Lasswade reg district.

You don't say if Eric is deceased or not - presumably not, if he's a closed record in 1939.
In case he's living, I'll PM you the basic search result for the Scottish record, though you'll have to order a copy of the cert through Scotlands People .

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Mar 2022 19:26

Have you checked ALL of the marriages for the name?

KeithG

KeithG Report 21 Mar 2022 19:32

Thank you ArgyllGran.

I don't know whether Eric is still living, the C1939 record suggests that he is, but FMP waits for proof of a death before releasing the record and it could simply be that his death has yet to be recorded.

I was surprised how many candidates there are for Eric K(eith) Martin.

The Tonbridge marriage is interesting, greyghost, I think I'll order that marriage certificate too. It takes a couple of weeks to receive these certificates (here in France) so waiting for each one to arrive makes discovery a long-drawn-out process!

KeithG

KeithG Report 21 Mar 2022 19:42

I'm getting to them one at a time Erika!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Mar 2022 20:30

Who witnessed the 1980 marriage?

KeithG

KeithG Report 21 Mar 2022 20:51

Witnesses: M E Fine?, Stuart Saunders

I imagine that Stuart Saunders was Phyllis' son by her first marriage.

Interesting question! What are you hoping to discover?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Mar 2022 20:51

MARTIN, ERIC KEITH 1924
GRO Reference: DOR Q1/2015 in SURREY (759-1I) Entry Number 511546813

KeithG

KeithG Report 21 Mar 2022 20:56

Yes, that's the one I have settled on, his parents marriage also support this assumption.

MARTIN, ERIC KEITH
GRO Reference: 1924 J Quarter in TONBRIDGE Volume 02A Page 1397

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Mar 2022 21:00

It's a relief that a living person's details are not being aired on this insecure site

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Mar 2022 21:52

Probably M E Finn

Possibly the man’s elder daughter.

KeithG

KeithG Report 21 Mar 2022 22:22

That is an interesting discovery, thank you Erika. Following that line of thinking makes one of the possible marriages highly probable. I've already ordered that marriage certificate, I'll follow it up.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Mar 2022 08:30

Hence the question about witnesses ;-) ;-)

alviegal

alviegal Report 22 Mar 2022 12:54

The 1956 one in Surrey was reported in the papers.

Bride was Susan Mary Twyford, daughter of Mr & Mrs Richard Twyford of Southwold.

He was MD of Waveney Apple Growers. He had been in the RAF during the war and his father was killed in WW1. His bedridden mother lived in Henfield.

West Sussex Gazette 30 August 1956

alviegal

alviegal Report 22 Mar 2022 13:09

MARRIAGE LARTIN—JIROVETZ. On the 22nd September. 1951. at Corpus Christi Church. Tonbrldge. by the Rev. Father Taggart. Eric Keith. son of Mr. and Mrs J Martin of Carpenters Lane, Hadlow to Maria Helene, daughter of Mr and Mrs W Jirovetz of Gratz, Austria.

28 September 1951 - Kent & Sussex Courier - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England

Sevenoaks Chronicle and Kentish Advertiser 28 September 1951

This reports he was the youngest son.
Her dress was of ivory cloque, she carried red roses and she was given away by Mr V Powys.
Misses Joan Martin and Madeleine Cook were attendants along with Miss Brenda Richards. Best man was John Davies.

alviegal

alviegal Report 22 Mar 2022 13:30

16 Council Houses>> Carpenters Lane<<, Hadlow, Tonbridge R.D., Kent, England

Household members (4 people)
First name(s) Last name(s) Birth date Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule sub number
John J Martin 05 Jun 1881 Male School Caretaker Married 295 1
Lily E Martin 18 Jan 1886 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 295 2
John E Martin 08 Apr 1920 Male Estimating Clerk W? Works Single 295 3

The record for this person is officially closed.

Former caretaker at the village school. 77-year-Old Mr. John James Martin. of 16. Carpenters Lane. died on Friday. He served in the Royal Navy for 22 years and was the holder of the D.C.M. and the M.M. He was caretaker at the school for 15 years and had lived in the village for 27 years, coming from Tonbridge. He leaves a widow, 2 sons and 2 daughters. The funeral took place at Hadlow on Wednesday.

31 October 1958 - Kent & Sussex Courier - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England