General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

According to 'My Heritage'

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jan 2018 11:37

My nephew has just informed me that our DNA has our family as direct descendants (16 generations) of this lady:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Wolverston

She does sound a bit like my Cornish granny :-D

Now to do some 'forward' genealogy....

Edit: ....but if we're related to Mary, it will be the Suffolk side.
I just hope the link isn't through my dad's (unknown, but one strong potential) Cornish dad :-(

Phyll

Phyll Report 18 Jan 2018 12:42

Hi maggie

I was thinking of joining the premium site of My Heritage but do you know if I can cancel my subscription at any time in the future. I have written to them but have had no reply. Sorry to bother you.
Regards
Phyll

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jan 2018 13:00

Hi Phyll,
I'm not a member - my nephew is (free with his job), though nephew, sister and I had our DNA done through them, and get notifications.
You should be able to cancel your subscription.
If you go to their main page, there's a 'help' tab at the top.
Click on 'Contact us', that will give you a telephone number.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Jan 2018 13:04

Interesting Maggie. Lots of info there, be good if you could find a link somewhere. Might be worth reading the fiction book as well. It does say 'progent by her husband', wonder if that means there were others not by her husband?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jan 2018 13:12

I prefer Mary to her husband, so I don't care! :-D :-D :-D

Mary had one child by a previous husband.

It's weird, because I've got quite a way back with my trees - and they're mainly Cornish (dad's side) Hampshire (mum's dad's side, and Suffolk (mum's mum's side)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jan 2018 13:51

Nephew has just sent me the tree - I was within 4 generations of finding this information!!
Pleased to say, the rest of my research matches what he's sent :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Jan 2018 15:09

so do you have a direct link? Satisfying that your research agrees.

Phyll

Phyll Report 18 Jan 2018 16:05

Thanks Maggie for your kind help.
Phyll

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jan 2018 18:12

I'm glad it helped, Phyll :-)

Well, Ann,
We have a problem, as the article says, Mary Killigrew (nee Wolverton) is quite often mixed up with her mother in law Elizabeth Killigrew (nee Trewenard), and, looking very closely at dates, this could have happened with 'My Heritage' :-(

Nephew is having a detailed look, but even if we're not of pirate heritage, I don't mind being a descendant of Capt. John and Lady Elizabeth Kelligrew, and Mary, though not a blood relative was a sister in law of my g x lots grandmother/grandfather (probably grandmother)
It also means we are 100% Cornish on my gran's dad's side :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jan 2018 19:57

Okay - now there may be evidence to show both Mary AND Elizabeth were pirates :-S

Caroline

Caroline Report 18 Jan 2018 20:28

Wasn't everyone in Cornwall basically a pirate at sometime or other back then ? :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jan 2018 21:01

Yes, probably - but these were high class pirates, don'cha know! :-D :-D :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 18 Jan 2018 21:16

:-D.

Oh deary me,,,,,,,,Another out to try and impress. with embelishments..

soooooo......... infact your from a line common of sea robbers.

;-) :-D. :-D.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jan 2018 21:28

Sea robbers - with titles, and a couple of 'nice' houses!!! :-D
Arwenack is now flats, and Pendennis Castle is undergoing essential repairs - but I bet it's got the odd Oak door and crenellation :-D

You may touch your forelock!! ;-)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 18 Jan 2018 21:46

:-D :-D :-D.

naftt orft. me lady.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jan 2018 22:01

How vey dare you!!!! :-P :-P :-P

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 19 Jan 2018 10:53

Bring you all down to earth ......

maggie-how long did the "matching" stage take at My Heritage-I uploaded my Ancestry aut about 10 days ago and it is still "matching" :-|

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Jan 2018 13:25

I'm not sure, ElizabethK.
Nephew had his done early last year, my sister about the middle, and I had mine done at the end of last year.
I've been researching the family tree, and my nephew (being a member) is uploading it, though I have put on a very small tree.
It took a while for the DNA results to come back, but within the week of receiving my results, they had deduced I was my sister's sister, and related to my nephew.
The only other' matches', have been 3rd or 5th cousins or even further.
I think my nephew uploaded my Cornish stuff (I'd got to 3 or 4 generations away from the Killigrew's) a week or so ago.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 19 Jan 2018 15:32

Thanks maggie-will wait and see :-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 20 Jan 2018 09:12

I have now got my results, the ethnicity...how do you get more detailed info?

found it!