General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Probate Fees..now £1.50 instead of £10..UPDATE

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 23 Jul 2019 11:21

Probate Fees from July 2019
PA3 Fee
Application
In all cases where the net estate (ie the amount remaining in the deceased’s sole name after funeral expenses and debts owing have been deducted) is over £5,000 (see example 1 below).
Note: Joint assets passing automatically to the surviving joint owner should not be included when calculating the fee.
£215
If the net estate as above is under £5,000 (see example 2 below).
No fee
Application for a second grant in an estate where a previous grant has been issued.
£20
Additional Copies
Official (sealed) copies of the Grant of Representation if ordered when you lodge
your application for a Grant of Representation.
Note: You should decide how many copies you will need and add the
cost to your application fee – this will give you the total amount payable.
See examples below. It can save you a lot of time when collecting in the deceased’s assets if you have a few extra copies of the grant to produce to the organisations holding the assets.
£1.50 per copy
‘Sealed and certified copy’ – if assets are held abroad you may need one of these. Please check with the appropriate organisations before ordering.
£1.50 per copy (including Will and Grant)
Additional copies (consisting of grant including a copy of the Will, if applicable) ordered after the Grant of Representation has been issued.
£1.50 per copy
Example 1
Net estate of £75,000 4 copies of grant at £1.50 each
= Fee £215
= Fee
Total Fee £221
£ 6
Example 2
Net estate of £2,000 1 copy of grant at £1.50 each
= Fee = Fee
Total Fee
Nil £1.50 £1.50
Please send a cheque or postal order (no cash) made payable to ‘HM Courts & Tribunals Service’, together with your application forms, to the Probate Registry to which you are applying. You should state the number and type of copies you need on the checklist on page 1 of the probate application form (PA1A/PA1P). Please print the name of the deceased person on the back of the cheque.
Please ensure you order sufficient copies for your needs, when you send in your application.
Please note: Appropriate post must be paid. (Standard rate postage may not be sufficient. If your forms weigh over 60g they may need to be weighed at your local Post Office.)
What if I cannot afford to pay a fee?
If you cannot afford the fee, you may be eligible for a fee remission in full or part. The combined booklet and application form EX160A - Court fees - do I have to pay them? gives all the information you need. You can get a copy from any Probate Registry or from our website www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk.
Your application will not be processed until the fee is paid (or an application for refund/remission has been successful).
PA3 Probate Fees - (07.19)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Jul 2019 14:06

Have they reduced them, brain fog here, I think not so long ago they put them up but am I dreaming now?

Anyway thanks for that

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 23 Jul 2019 14:10

According to FB site definitely £1.50.

Some people have ordered 10 :-0

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 23 Jul 2019 15:36

Good, maybe it didn't get through (the increase).

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 23 Jul 2019 19:35

I think the relevant bit as far as we are concerned is...

'Additional copies (consisting of grant including a copy of the Will, if applicable) ordered after the Grant of Representation has been issued.
£1.50 per copy'.

Off to check if I need any :-D

Chris

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 24 Jul 2019 17:14

Two will ordered £3.00 :-D

Got others but will wait and see what we get.

ETA 8th August :-)

Island

Island Report 24 Jul 2019 18:07

Thanks Mr M
In terms of pre 1996 wills is there more than is visible for free.?

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 24 Jul 2019 18:26

More info here Island :-)

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

Island

Island Report 24 Jul 2019 18:30

cheers M, I'll have a look later,

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 22 Aug 2019 14:39

21 days.....still waiting :-( :-| :-|

Island

Island Report 22 Aug 2019 15:26

"You should get a response within 4 weeks" :-)

Just to clarify, are these post 1996 wills/probate for £1.50? It seems a very generous drop in fee if so.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 22 Aug 2019 15:31

They are 1897 & 1918.

All wills as I read it.

There must be comments about this on other FH sites.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 22 Aug 2019 15:31

Apparently they have been "overwhelmed" by the response and have a backlog :-(
You would have thought they could have predicted a sudden surge with such a price reduction :-)

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 2 Oct 2019 19:06

My two wills ordered on 24th July arrived this afternoon.

About 45 working days....within 10 days they said :-|

Island

Island Report 2 Oct 2019 19:50

ummm… I think you misread my question Mr M. "Just to clarify, are these post 1996 wills/probate for £1.50?"

I meant generally. I wouldn't be so nosey as to ask about yours LOL :-D :-D

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 2 Oct 2019 20:28

I am afraid delay was due to all the orders after they reduced the price.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 2 Oct 2019 21:18

Not sure Island :-)

After waiting all that time one will is the wrong one :-(

They have sent the one above so sent a message to hopefully get the correct one quickly :-|

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 3 Oct 2019 12:12

Just so I'm clear on this, you actually get a copy of the full Will not just the Probate...is that right Mr M?

I'm interested in a Will for 1870.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 3 Oct 2019 14:39

You get the whole thing. This is from the probate website

How to pay for your copy grant or will

The fee for each copy request is £1.50 to download (the £1.50 charge is required by law for the release of public documents. You will receive a copy of the grant of representation and the will if there is one. You can pay online using a debit or credit card.

If you are unable to pay with a credit or debit card, then you can download form PA1S from https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-records. The form will have an address to send it to together with your cheque. This service will take 4 weeks

How to get your copy grant and/or will.

You won’t be able to access the grant/will straight after ordering it. You will get an email confirming your order but this will not mean that your copy is ready to be downloaded.

You will get an email when it is ready to download. You will then be able to log in to the system and go to “My Wills” and save each available item to your computer. After you have logged in, the copy will be available for 31 days, so make sure that you save it before then.

If you have ordered more than one grant or will, then they may be ready to download at different times. You’ll get an email when each one is ready.

Some of the grants and wills are quite old so may not be in very good condition. The scanned copy of the grant or will that you receive will be the best quality available.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 3 Oct 2019 15:06

As Andysmum has post but for £1.50 it’s better than the Probate Calendar.

Go for it :-D :-D

It might just arrive before Christmas :-D