General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Boris - stay or go?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dermot

Dermot Report 11 Sep 2019 13:44

The shortest period in office for a PM is confused, depending on the criteria.

The shortest ever period was only two days, a record held by Lord Bath, from 10 February to 12 February 1746, who was asked to form a government but was unable to find more than one person who would agree to serve in his cabinet.

(C&P from the Net).

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 11 Sep 2019 16:28

In the name of God, go!

It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonored by your contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice.

O.C. 1653

Jemima

Jemima Report 12 Sep 2019 10:02

'Ye are grown intolerably odious to the whole nation. You were deputed here by people to get grievances redressed, are yourselves become the greatest grievance,'

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 12 Sep 2019 10:41

'Should I stay or should I go...'

'Go now ...'

Tabitha

Tabitha Report 12 Sep 2019 12:20

Oh for goodness sake - We need someone with the guts to say "bog off to people and not let Europe walk all over them " Not just sit and faff around going well if you think its best i will take it to Britain & not have the guts to stand their ground.

More people like Boris - If people had known what was going to happen - (nothing would change to important things even if we did leave Europe) they would not have voted go.

So many people voted for things to change - but not realising they wouldn't anyway - so loads of money wasted for nothing . I never realised some things would never change.

Lets have another referendum - but with all the facts & they would soon see what people really thought.

Bother another election - More politicians required willing to stand their ground & with attitude & personality please.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 12 Sep 2019 13:48

I think he should stay
at least he is trying to give the Majority of people

What they want :-D :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Sep 2019 14:50

Well one thing for sure, if Boris does go it won't be to
" spend more time with family" ;-)

Kense

Kense Report 12 Sep 2019 15:22

He is not trying to give the majority what they want. The 52% (37% of the electorate, ~25% of the population) were told that we would get a good deal. Since then we have had a general election where there was a big swing away from the government. So BoJo wants another general election, Why? Has the will of the people changed? If so why not another referendum.

This government has been trying to get no deal, there is very little evidence that they have made a serious attempt to get a deal. Many of them voted against Mrs May's deal which would have got us out of the EU back in March.

The rush to get out of the EU at any price before the end of the year is presumably to avoid the EU's forthcoming Tax Avoidance rules..

Jemima

Jemima Report 12 Sep 2019 15:28

What about all those Brexit MEP's?!! Surely that should tell you something about how people feel?!!
As for another referendum, what would be on the ballot paper apart from Remain? Both other options are now either illegal or failed to get parliamentary approval?!!!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 12 Sep 2019 15:39

I read somewhere that the Brexit vote is legally binding under Northern Ireland's Constitution but can only be advisory under England's Constitution.

Do you think Cameron was aware of that? Another fine mess he got us into. :-0

Jemima

Jemima Report 12 Sep 2019 16:03

God only knows!! But you're right, he got us into a fine mess without even the remotest idea of what to do if leave won, except run away!! Why he ran that referendum in the way he did, and why Parliament endorsed it and the result is completely beyond me!

Kense

Kense Report 12 Sep 2019 16:12

Joy, as Northern Island voted to remain it shouldn't be a problem. :-)

Jemima the Brexit MEPs only represent 34% of the vote, well down from 52%.

David

David Report 12 Sep 2019 17:05

I am hoping he realises that Europe, America and China must be laughing at

him and that he he resigns. No point in making loud speeches about 2050.

What about NOW. He's made an impression, and it's not favourable.

Dermot

Dermot Report 12 Sep 2019 17:08

The year of the 'blonds' both sides of the Atlantic - how much longer before the revolution bursts out?

Jemima

Jemima Report 13 Sep 2019 10:19

David, its not China (why China?!!) or America laughing at Boris, it's the whole of Europe laughing their heads off at our Parliament and almost every MP in it. Three + weary years they have been making absolute idiots of themselves and us by leading the voting population by the nose with their lies and duplicity from D.C jumping ship, to Mrs May with her unacceptable deal! A good proportion of MP's from both main political parties signed article 50, the bottom line of which was if a deal couldn't be reached, then no deal was the final outcome, inside the time limit of two years, not three +! Both political parties went to a GE on the basis of delivering Brexit, and have failed spectacularly, probably because they had no intention of doing it! None of the above is BorisJohnson s fault! How can it be, he wasn't the PM then! His 'fault' is trying to deliver a referendum, voted on by the British public, which other politicians have spectacularly, and we now know deliberately, failed to do, and are now blatantly using every trick in the book to scupper! I don't think he's the villain here in the eyes of the world, they started laughing, long ago!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 13 Sep 2019 10:24

I fully agree with you Jemima

Kense

Kense Report 13 Sep 2019 11:05

BoJo was the one who said before the referendum that getting a good deal would be really easy. When he won the referendum he and most of the other Leave leaders made themselves scarce. Theresa May was too concerned about keeping the Conservative party together to try for a proper deal. When the ERG wouldn't support her she should have made a reasonable attempt to seek a joint agreement with Labour.

Jemima

Jemima Report 13 Sep 2019 11:22

How? Labour had no policy, and apparently still doesn't! How on earth do you present a united front with a rabble?!

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 13 Sep 2019 11:32

A joint agreement with Labour *chuckles*. I loved George Galloway's description of Corbyn.....

"He reminds me of El Cid, strapped to his horse after he had died, to contnue leading his followers into battle."

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Sep 2019 11:39

From the get go it was blindingly obvious that the 2016 Referendum would be shipwrecked on the reefs of the DUP and the Good Friday Agreement. I fail to understand why anybody who gave the matter 5 minutes attention could not see this.

The shipwreck was the inevitable result of an EU external border across an island which has been a war zone within recent memory and could easily return to large scale violence.

It is not that voters were misled on other matters ( though they were ) but the whole miserable exercise was and is impossible. The only get outs were for the UKGovt to accept the .break up of the UK or the Conservative Party. T May was not prepared to do either hence her dogs dinner of a WA mixed in with a fair bit of xenophobia.

The fascists ( ERG Cummings, Banks, GHands et al) are quite happy to break up the UK and transform England into an essentially one party state in the Singapore model. Thus the insuperable obstacles for May do not exist for Johnson.

Cummings too-clever-by-half plot to get NoDeal through has failed thanks to a few people who had the wit and courage to stop it even if they are now non grata to the DailyMail Telegraph and the shiny new incarnation of British fascism.

Through all of this Jeremy Corbyn has covered himself with mud and will be the eternal shame of the Labour Party, worse than Ramsay McDonald.

The rest of Europe are not laughing at the UK. They see the whole affair as tragic. They are laughing at B Johnson and his gang. Putin and Trump are v supportive though.