General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

on line banking

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Sep 2019 09:08

My brain won't save my legs!!

When we log in now we have to put in a one time code. The code is sent to my phone.

My desk top is upstairs, my phone is usually downstairs!!

When will I remember to get my phone before trying to go on line?

I appreciate that it is good security just wish my poor old brain would remember. :-( :-(

David

David Report 30 Sep 2019 09:23

Have you considered an extension next to your computer Ann ?

Dermot

Dermot Report 30 Sep 2019 09:28

The paraphernalia of modern technology is guiding me to my grave.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 30 Sep 2019 09:41

Glad I am not the only one with that problem Ann :-D

David, we have a landline extension next to our computer but the code is sent to a mobile and is only valid for 20 minutes.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Sep 2019 10:02

Thank you Vera I was just going to explain that to David too.

This was only the second time I got caught as they have only just brought it in. The first time I was transferring money so I thought it was because of that but no, it seems it is every time we need to access the account.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 30 Sep 2019 11:39

I have the same problem from a different angle.

I do not have a smart phone so have to use a "card reader" to which a code is sent, I find these readers difficult to see and have been timed out for the second time yesterday

Unable to get to a bank to unlock my pin myself I have to give my pin to some else-where is the security in that ? :-S

I told the "chat" line it will be better to go back to cheques!!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 30 Sep 2019 11:52

I stopped online banking about 15 years ago on the advice of our then assistant finance officer.

I have used phone banking ever since then and would never go back to online. I am used to it but I guess it would be more difficult for those who are hard of hearing.

David

David Report 30 Sep 2019 11:53

Will you bank not issue you a 16 digit online banking number and give you

one of those little gadgets you stick your debit card in ? Barclays do it.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 30 Sep 2019 11:59

I think that is the card reader that Elizabeth refers to, David. I still have mine from years ago.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Sep 2019 12:02

David I have already got a card reader which I find perfectly easy to use but for some reason they have changed to this. There doesn't seem to be an option. However, Lol I had a similar problem with the card reader in that I never remembered I needed to have my debit card upstairs either. can't win!!!

Joylouise I am hard of hearing and would find it almost impossible to do phone banking.

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 Sep 2019 12:06

Any card reader will do. I had my Barclays one which I could not lay hand upon , so I used OH's card reader from another bank.

I think he was told you could do this by somebody at the bank.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 30 Sep 2019 12:13

My OH prefers to go into one of the branches - we all have our little quirks. :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 30 Sep 2019 12:17

The three bank branches in this area have been replaced by various charity outlets.

Which prospective MP said they would get rid of bank holidays?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 30 Sep 2019 12:24

Dermot, we are lucky. We still have branches of the 'big' banks and building societies in our little town.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 30 Sep 2019 12:27

New regs have come in we had a letter a couple of weeks ago for UK bank, local bank already doing it. You will be contacted with a number via mobile to use in online banking/buying.

SHOPPERS may no longer be able to spend online after anti-fraud rules are introduced in a matter of weeks because banks "aren't ready for them". New EU rules require retailers to send shoppers a verification code, which customers must then enter online to prove that it's really them.Jul 31, 2019

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 30 Sep 2019 15:31

Our bank has the new procedure the same as AnnG's. We had a card reader but that is now obsolete and we have a verification code text to us as per Pat's post above :-)

We had a letter a couple of months back telling us about the new procedure and asking us to ensure that our mobile phone details were up to date on our account.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 30 Sep 2019 15:37

Since the banks have become liable for repaying money taken from accounts by fraudsters,they are much more carefull :-D

Annx

Annx Report 30 Sep 2019 23:27

We were notified of the same a few weeks ago PatinCyprus and LondonBelle.

I know the same procedure with a verification code being sent has existed for some time with HMRC. Hubby gets fed up if he has to log on a few times to do bits of his self assessment, as they soon log you out if you have to get up to get anything.

It's a bit worrying about on-line shopping as we don't know whether we'll be under EU rules yet!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Oct 2019 03:05

I do most of my banking online, we just need a security code and pin number to access

What I haven't figured out is how to withdraw actual cash from the bank through the computer :-D

So, I do all the transferring of money from account to account and pay bills online. OH goes into the actual bank to take out cash.

I have a credit card from a bank where I used to have an account that I closed many years ago after an argument with the then-bank manager. I kept the card because it was in my name only and has no fee.

I received notice a few weeks ago that the branch close to home was being "upgraded to serve you better"

So far as I can make out, that means more electronic banking machines in the bank, as there was a statement in the notice about being unable to withdraw or deposit cash at the teller. :-S

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 1 Oct 2019 08:49

Sylvia, cash through the computer ..... what a thought! :-D

We have a few ATMs in walking distance but several nearby stores offer cash-back facilities (up to £50 per time) when you buy items via a debit card. It is very handy. I think we are spoilt for choice, as the saying goes.

The 'big' bank that holds our joint account has gone the way that you described via the 'upgrade'. When I asked someone about it, I was told that I can and ought to be able to approach the teller 'around the corner' (conveniently partly hidden from the main banking hall) to conduct my banking even though it seems to be there for either business deposits/foreign banking.

The (ex-bldg society) bank which holds the personal accounts for OH and for me still operates via the teller system even though there are three withdrawal/deposit machines inside and a couple outside.

I find the situation as far as post offices are concerned absolutely dire and much worse than banking. If you were here, Sylvia, you would be dismayed.