General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Problem with a cat and taking tablets

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Feb 2020 12:04

I gave a home 4 months ago to a 19 year old tabby cat but she has to take 4 tablets a day.
She was okay to start with using Easy Pill but some days she will not take all her tablets.
Tried using chicken but she still spits them out.
Any one got any idea of what I can try next.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 4 Feb 2020 12:09

Try dipping them in butter and then use the pill popper, failing that I use cheese spread as our youngest will do anything for a dollop of that and it helps it to slip down quicker :-D. BTW nice to see you posting on here I haven't noticed you about for a while

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Feb 2020 12:18

Strange that you said cheese because a friend suggested it but I was not sure about milk for a cat.

Looks like I will be shopping for a mild cheese spread.

Not been around for ages but thought I would give the site another try.

Thankfully the member that was causing a lot of problems seems to have gone.

Nice to see a familiar name on the boards.

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Feb 2020 12:19

I have usually ha some success by sitting with the cat to my left and close to my hip, my left arm down, clamping the cat to me with my elbow. I open the cats mouth with my left hand and pop the pill into the back of the throat with my right hand and then stroke the cats throat until it swallows whilst telling the cat that, if it spits it out, it is going up its bu!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 Feb 2020 12:32

There is a gadget sold at PetsAtHome ( £ 3 ) or the vet (£ 10).
Place the pill in the gadget. Hold the cat and open its mouth in the usual way. With the gadget shoot the pill to the back of its throat. Hold its mouth shut until it swallows. Job done.
Easier with two people but can be done by one person.

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/cat/cat-healthcare/cat-pill-giving-and-syringes/pill-gun-for-dogs-and-cats

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Feb 2020 12:41

Oops just deleted my last post.

Sharron my cat is not a lap cat.

Hi Rollo another familiar name.

Off to Pets at Home in the next couple of day so worth a look.

Maureen

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Feb 2020 13:07

It doesn't need to be a lap cat, as long as you can clamp it to your hip for a moment.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Feb 2020 13:28

Hi Sharron

Will give it try but knowing what Missy is like I do not think she will stay that close for long.

Maureen

Rambling

Rambling Report 4 Feb 2020 13:41

Nice to see you posting GlitterBaby :-)

I am laughing at the idea of clamping my cat to my hip. the only way that would happen is if he decided to do it himself, ie with his teeth and claws firmly embedded :-)

Good luck with finding a solution, the gadget sounds good, but cheese may also work , our other visiting cat likes smoked cheese or mature cheddar, nothing mild.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Feb 2020 14:05

It may sound strange, but how about hiding the pills in a small piece of pilchard in tomato sauce - or just the sauce?
I don't usually give my cats human food, but one day, whilst eating pilchards in tomato sauce, both cats showed an interest.
I put a couple of bowls down, with a small piece of pilchard in sauce in each - and they ate the tomato sauce :-S

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Feb 2020 14:16

I used to crush the tablet between two spoons and put the dust in one of the soft treats like salmon or soft cheese

My old girl never seemed to twig she was being medicated !

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 4 Feb 2020 14:22

My sister used to wrap an old towel around the cat's body so stopping it escaping or scratching her, then she found it easy to open the cat's mouth and get the tablet to the back of the throat.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 4 Feb 2020 14:59

Have you tried a cream cheese like Philly easier to get down cats mouth and throat.

And Welcome it's great to see you back on the boards <3 <3 <3 <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Feb 2020 15:01

Can't offer any advice but just wanted to say hello glitter baby, nice to see you again. :-) :-)

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 Feb 2020 15:48

Old cats taking pills sometimes go blind very suddenly.
So long as you get to the vets quickly there are various by mouth medicines which will quickly fix this. The common idea that nothing can be done is incorrect.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Feb 2020 16:04

Sorry but YUK to the pilchards.

It might have to be Philly as I like that.

Not supposed to break the tablets according to the leaflet.

Will let you know in a couple of days if anything works

Nice to see so many names that I actually remember.

Maureen

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Feb 2020 16:45

You don't like pilchards? :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Feb 2020 17:40

Can't help ................

but good to see you, Maureen!

Caroline

Caroline Report 4 Feb 2020 17:59

Our cat used to scratch a lot so yes wrap in a thick towel and hold the mouth shut once pill in and rub under the chin...but be warned after a few goes they get wise and look like they've taken it then spit it out when you let them go.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 4 Feb 2020 23:48

Hi stranger

I used to buy the cheap cheese spread triangles and hide pills in a small portion of a triangle. Down the hatch!

Lizx