General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hello Everyone

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kay

Kay Report 21 Oct 2020 02:49

I'm new here and don't quite know my way around.
I'm in the second half of my 60s, have 4 children and 6 Grandchildren. My son, who's 40 next year lives with me and my 4 dogs (although 1 is officially his), 2 cats and 1 rabbit. As you can imagine, it's a bit of a madhouse!! My son is autistic so will always have to put up with living with me!

I'm isolating as much as possible due to Covid-19 so I'd just like to chat in general for a bit of company, hence my decision to join Genes Reunited. I'd like to tentatively take a few steps into my family history but mostly I joined for company.

My daughter and 5 of my Grandchildren live on the South coast and I live in Northamptonshire so I haven't seen them very often this year, but I do have my eldest Son and 1 Grandaughter living locally so I can see them sometimes-at a distance! I also have my youngest Son living in America who I miss desperately even after nearly 4 years but we skype often. He's happy over there, so that's what matters most.

I hope to join you all in the evenings for a chat and look forward to hearing from anyone who's happy to chat with me. My very best wishes to you all. Kay

Allan

Allan Report 21 Oct 2020 03:24

Welcome to the Boards, Kay.

I'm in Western Australia, but originally from the UK.

I'm sure that you will soon be skipping around the threads just like the rest of us, and there is always someone here to help, whether it's to do with family history or just life in general

Kay

Kay Report 21 Oct 2020 04:48

Hello Alan and thank you for replying. I've got 3 sisters in Australia but they're all in South Australia, in the Adelaide area. They've all been out there since the 60s. I don't have any contact with them now but I did visit them in 2000. Couldn't do the journey again now, much too long for me-I'd never be able to walk after sitting in a cramped seat for 26+ hours! Where did you live when you were over here?

Thanks for your assurance that I'll soon be confident on the boards. When I'm still struggling in 6 months, and should know better, I'll remind you of your words. :-D

Allan

Allan Report 21 Oct 2020 07:03

:-D :-D :-D

Originally from Manchester and then moved to Cleethorpes before coming out here in 1982.

I've also got some second cousins in SA but have not been able to trace them yet. I remember meeting them when they lived in Manchester

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Oct 2020 07:40

Hello Kay, always good to meet somebody new on here. you posted late in the night when it is more quiet. This board is not as busy as it once was but during the day there is usually somebody around. There are a couple of long running threads which might have strange titles to you. These threads might also sound a bit closed sounding with people familiar with each other but please join them they are friendly and welcome different people. One I am on is the one titled something like 'what do you remember from your childhood' that was how it started but it is now a chat thread the author of the thread is Mel fairy godmother.

Anyway, I am Ann, I live in Gloucestershire, between Gloucester and Cheltenham. I am 80. I have two children, five Grandchildren and three great grandchildren and I am married, unfortunately at the moment my 82 year old husband has a very bad back and is suffering headaches. Waiting for results of scan and Xrays so a very worrying time. I am originally from Hampshire but have lived here 28 years. None of our family live any closer than an hour and a half away. Although all are in this country.

My life at the moment consists of looking after my husband (we are more or less isolating) and tidying up the garden for winter. Husband is the main gardener usually and was active until the end of August but can't do anything much out there at the moment. I also make greetings cards so am busy with Christmas cards (for myself I don't sell them).

Anyway welcome again. and maybe see you on Mel's thread.

Best advice is to look at all the threads and see what is in them.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Oct 2020 08:52

Welcome Kay.
As Ann said you posted quite late, or early for UK members.
If you see a thread that interests you just dive in. Don’t let some contentious threads put you off joining others. There been and still are, some right ding dongs going on - just ignore them.

Edit: I meant to say most UK members

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 21 Oct 2020 09:06

Welcome on the boards Kay I live in Bedfordshire so not so far away. I have a long running thread that you are more than welcome to come for a chat on. Don't be misled by the title Chronicles of Nutlodge as it is a very long standing joke between friends. :-D :-D :-D. No ding dongs allowed on this thread just a load of chat and downright silly banter. :-D :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Oct 2020 09:26

Welcome Kay.

Just jump onto any thread that takes your fancy or start one yourself by adding a topic (right-hand, near top of threads board).

If you just want to join in with a friendly, light-hearted and happy chit-chat and bit of banter, try the daily thread that usually begins with lots of emoticons like this. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D <3 <3 <3 <3

Today's. 'Soaked Wednesday' has been started by Maddie.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 21 Oct 2020 09:34

Hello Kay, welcome to the boards.
One thing about the very long running threads is that you need to get to the last page to read the latest replies. The easiest way I find to do that is to open the thread up. It says add reply and watch at the top. On the line under that , at the right hand side you will see “post date” If you click on that, it will take you straight to the last page with the latest reply at the top

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Oct 2020 09:39

Well done Linda, I forgot to add that bit, or rather my brain was still asleep when I posted.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 21 Oct 2020 09:40

Mine too as usual Ann :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Oct 2020 09:42

Linda, is there not a way you can turn the thread around so it appears as in a file, with the latest reply first?

I have done so accidentally several times - but don't ask me which keys I've pressed to get there.

I still prefer to read a thread as a book though -adding my response to the end of a thread.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 21 Oct 2020 09:43

That is what the Post Date button does Joy :-D :-D

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 21 Oct 2020 09:48

Hello from Cyprus.

Welcome to the boards, you'll find us a friendly bunch and very helpful. :-D

I have sent you an email - go to messages.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 21 Oct 2020 09:52

Trouble with reading some of the threads that way round is that it is easier to miss some of the posts. With the huge threads it makes sense, but not with the fast moving ones.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 21 Oct 2020 10:10

Thanks LaG. :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 21 Oct 2020 10:45

I didn't realise the 'post date' took you to the last page, either :-S
I've only been here *checks notes* 17 years.

Hello Kay. I'm early 60's, 2 children, 5 grandchildren, 2 elderly cats, and I live in Winchester :-D

Fly

Fly Report 21 Oct 2020 10:51

Welcome Kay :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 21 Oct 2020 11:10

Hi Kay one of the "Canadians" here; there's a few of us often lurking later into the day/night on the threads. :-)

You'll soon learn how it all works and don't be put off it can be a bit much at times, just get your tin hat ready and duck into the trenches if need be :-D :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 21 Oct 2020 11:54

Hello Kay.

I infest the South Coast.