General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Elastic

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Oct 2020 09:28

Heaven help you if the elastic has gone from your last pair of knickers and you live on Wales. ‘cos you won’t be allowed to pop into the supermarket to buy more.

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 23 Oct 2020 09:38

I ran out of elastic as I was making masks for all the family, so my daughter ordered some for me on line. It's a 20 metre roll so plenty to spare!!!

Dermot

Dermot Report 23 Oct 2020 09:38

Ingenuity required - although you may find it hard enough to source a supply. ;-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Oct 2020 09:42

A couple of safety pins to fasten them to your liberty bodice ought to do the trick. :-D

I am aware, though, that there's been a right hoo-ha over the rules about stores open and goods permitted to be sold in stores during lockdown.

Kense

Kense Report 23 Oct 2020 11:04

There's a world shortage thanks to Covid face mask production.
Better stock up on knickers while you can.

Island

Island Report 23 Oct 2020 11:21

'Falling Drawers' by Lucy Lastic.

There's nothing like a 'world shortage' to boost sales Ken :-D I had no trouble buying elastic recently - flat and round. I think people went a bit mad back in March and bought up anything that was 'going to sell out'

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Oct 2020 12:10

Still are going mad...Kitchen rolls the latest thing here can't find it for love or money.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Oct 2020 12:24

Must add to shopping list:

Drawers
Elastic
Safety pins
Loo rolls
Kitchen rolls

and, if the news is right,

Get your turkeys now! :-0

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 23 Oct 2020 12:54

It's not just purchasing elastc, it's finding good quality elastic!

And don't get me started on replacing it! No threading it through a channel!
Now you have to unstitch the old stuff which is sewn to the waistband and other strange places.

Such a pan!

Lizx

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Oct 2020 13:21

Oh Lord help us..images of Welsh people all going commando.... :-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Oct 2020 13:26

:-D :-D

Kense

Kense Report 23 Oct 2020 14:44

OK Island, I admit I made i up. :-)

Von

Von Report 23 Oct 2020 16:10

Kense you may have made it up but at the start of the pandemic there was Indead a shortage of black and white elastic in the UK. I had to settle for fluorescent yellow ;-) ;-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Oct 2020 17:38

I’ll refrain from commenting how handy that must be if one has to get dressed in the dark ;-)

Allan

Allan Report 23 Oct 2020 22:06

Wear your knickers on your head, they'd make great face masks

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Oct 2020 23:41

Liz ...............

I had the same thought about replacing elastic.

I haven't seen panties or waist underskirts with thread through channels for years!

It seems it's throw out if the elastic goes, instead of mend.

The same applies to OH's underpants, although his do have wider and stronger elastic than the narrow weaker stuff used on mine.

Kay

Kay Report 24 Oct 2020 00:23

That reminds me of an incident that happened to me a couple of weeks ago that I laugh at when I think of it-now!

I'd bought myself a new pair of warmer trousers and wore them when I went to town shopping one day but, for some reason, they kept "working their way down" at the waist. This wasn't the worst of the problem-they were pulling my Bridget Jones knickers down with them!! I had to keep stopping and hauling them back up again, not very ladylike at all, and not very discreetly either because I had a coat on as well. Needless to say, as soon as I got home they went in a bag for the charity shop!!!!!!!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 24 Oct 2020 00:59

Last summer, 2019, I was out and about, wearing a top, skirt and half slip. I was just walking past a group of lads and I felt my half slip slithering down my legs. Talk
about embarrassed. Of course the lads were sniggering as I tried to elegantly step out of the slip and stuff it into my bag.

Lizx

Caroline

Caroline Report 24 Oct 2020 02:54

Way back when I was at school I remember a girl in my year was as cool as a cucumber didn't miss a step...as she somehow had her bra detach itself from her..like Liz she cooly picked it up and carried on...

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Oct 2020 03:31

I had a problem in 2004, the first year we took the train to NS, we stayed overnight in Montreal, and I was exploring the underground city while OH did something else, it's full of shops and a terrific place.

I felt something slipping, finally realised that it was my panti-hose tights that were gradually working their way from my waist to my thighs. It was hard to walk by that time!

I was wearing winter jacket, trousers and had to keep stopping and trying to find a secluded place where I could haul them back up so I could walk and get back to the hotel PDQ