Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Garden thread 2014

Page 0 + 1 of 87

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Jan 2013 19:47

Anybody got anything interesting actually survived the boggy winter?

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 4 Jan 2013 19:49

a few weeds lol,

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 4 Jan 2013 19:53

my daffs and tulips are 5 inches high :-D

MrDaff

MrDaff Report 4 Jan 2013 20:00

My Daff's are coming along as well :-)

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 4 Jan 2013 20:01

Only two geraniums died and my fig tree still lives! :-D

Wend

Wend Report 4 Jan 2013 20:02

Stray, that's so true. I went into my garden to-day and there are SO many weeds - I was tempted to get out there and do a bit of weeding, but had to continue getting the decs down - I'd much rather have been out there than tottering up the ladder and shoving boxes in the loft :-|

Ann, my garden is a quagmire - everything is a soggy mess :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Jan 2013 20:23

Oh found clematis actually sprouting and the bulbs are coming up. Trouble is, plenty of time for some really cold weather yet. :-)

Von

Von Report 4 Jan 2013 20:29

Hi Ann
The first of my daffodils bloomed yesterday.Lots more to come as well.
I have marigolds that are blooming again and I have a wild garlic in flower.
Hate latter.

Wend I was temped to do some weeding as well but like Ann thought might have some cold weather. Given that we usually follow NY I expect it next week. ;-) ;-) ;-)
Take care
Von

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Jan 2013 20:31

I did notice some marigolds out down the road from us. Our seasons are all to pot.

GinN

GinN Report 5 Jan 2013 05:51

I've noticed quite a few cherry type trees coming into blossom around here.

K

K Report 5 Jan 2013 06:15

The veg have survived well with not much really cold weather. Bulbs are shooting with no sign of flowers yet. Checked the snowdrops only yesterday. A neighbour thinks the late daffs he planted may have rotted after being waterlogged for weeks.

One plus - I took rather late penstemon cuttings in the autumn and they all seem to have rooted :-D

Was almost like the first day of spring here yesterday with neighbours out for the first time for ages without jackets. I wonder if the forcast cold winter with heavy snow will arrive later in the month. Watching the met office long range forcast with interest.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Jan 2013 10:57

Just looked out of the window and we have primroses that have been flowering all winter and we also have the yellow winter flowering jasmine out, love that, it looks like little yellow stars. And the sun is shining today so it all looks more 'almost spring' like. :-)

Merlin

Merlin Report 5 Jan 2013 13:14

Same as Ann, with Jasmine,got a couple of very tiny roses (Red and Yellow) Daffs,marigolds and my Geraniums seem to be ok. I.m going to take cuttings from them soon and put away in greenhouse with th pinks andcarnation cuttings I,ve got. :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Jan 2013 13:19

good idea Merlin, is your greenhouse heated?

Merlin

Merlin Report 5 Jan 2013 13:24

Just got a small parafin heater in it,but I,ve taped Bubble Wrap around all the roof and side glass to help insulate it, and all the tender plants and shrubs have been fleeced well,(Those that are to large to take indoors) just in case of really bad frosts etc.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Jan 2013 15:17

just been having a look around the garden - still have some pansies in bloom but best of all I notice that my Daphne Odora is absolutely covered in buds that are just about to break open - without a doubt, these flowers are the most beautifully scented flowers in the world and they will bloom from now until late March - well worth getting a Daphne if you don't already have one - make sure it's an Odora

I also have one Rudbeckia in bloom!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Jan 2013 15:23

Is the Daphne a very big shrub Ann?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Jan 2013 15:31

not really - had mine about five years now - it's about knee high and has a spread of about four feet, but of course you can prune it back - it's evergreen by the way

donlt know if you recall this, but the Queen Mother always used to stop at a house on her way to the races somewhere cos the man always had a big bunch of Daphne for her - that's how wonderful it is!!! A plant in a nursery is usually around the £9/£10 mark but well worth it believe me

A neighbour of mine had a bunch from me and managed to grow a bush from it - I've never managed that though I have tried

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 5 Jan 2013 15:32

just thought - next time David comes down [him from over the back of you] I'll try and remember to give him some for you

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Jan 2013 10:48

Last year I grew baby carrots in a trough. Realised recently that there were still a few carrot tops showing. This morning I pulled a small bunch and they are fine, quite a surprise I would have thought they'd have rotted in all that rain, but no. :-)