Hobbies and Crafts

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

recipes

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Apr 2014 13:01

We used to have a very long thread with recipes on but I can't find it. As cooking is a hobby (as well as a necessity I thought I'd add this on here. I have used the following recipe a lot, usually adapting it a bit to what I have in the cupboard, it is very easy, not time consuming and tasty. It is fro Jamie Oliver.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Apr 2014 13:01

Hit and run tray baked chicken serves 4
Oven preheated to 160

4 large ripe tomatoes
2 red onions
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
6 chicken thigh fillets
4 garlic cloves
Half bunch fresh thyme (15g)
½ tsp smoked paprika
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Quarter tomatoes, cut onions into wedges, deseed peppers and roughly chop. Add all these to tray with chicken thighs. Squash garlic cloves, add to tray, pick over thyme leaves and sprinkle over with paprika. Add oil and balsamic vinegar and seasoning. Toss everything together really well to coat, spread across tray, make sure chicken isn’t covered by vegetables. Roast for about 1 hour or until chicken is golden and cooked through, turning and basting a couple of times with the juices.
Serve with a green salad, or with rice, polenta or crusty bread to mop up juices.
Per serving 340 calories.

Note I have used bone in thighs, cook a little longer and make sure they are cooked. Calories will be higher if skin left on.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Apr 2014 17:51

I have this in the oven at the moment and it is smelling good. I didn't have all the ingredients and the onion is not red but I know it will taste good, it is such an easy dish to cook. :-) :-)

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 20 Apr 2014 19:26

AnninGlos that sounds really tasty thank you i think i'll give that one a try ,i like the idea of just bunging it all in together ,anything for an easy life :-D

Was the thread you were looking for The Culinary Delights one on General Chat ? i can nudge it up for you if it is .

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Apr 2014 08:51

Yes that was probably the one. I couldn't remember what it was called thanks.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 21 Apr 2014 14:00

Just nudged it up on General chat Ann

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Apr 2014 16:37

Thanks have added the recipe to it now. Really enjoyed it last night, we actually had it with new potatoes and veg. And in the mix, as I didn't have everything, I used mushrooms, courgettes, I only had half a red pepper, baby tomatoes, ordinary onion ordinary paprika and garlic granules. Still tasted good so it is a good recipe for using what you have in.

Mersey

Mersey Report 21 Apr 2014 17:30

I thinks its a great idea to have a recipe thread on hobbies Ann :-D <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Apr 2014 14:44

Trouble is with this board people forget it is here Mersey!!! I often look down the board and think it looks like an Annin Glos board because I am one of the only ones posting. :-D

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 30 Apr 2014 19:25

The Hit and Run Tray Baked Chicken was very very tasty ,we both really enjoyed it and i'll be making it again, it was so easy to do too, thanks for the recipe AnninGlos :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Apr 2014 20:50

Glad you enjoyed it we like it too. Did you improvise or follow the recipe

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 30 Apr 2014 21:07

No i followed the recipe ,just halved every thing for the two of us ,i thought i'd got everything then realised i hadn't got the Fresh Thyme ,so had to nip out again to get some,i think next time i'll do the full recipe as it was so nice i could have eaten more :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 May 2014 12:02

Lol I am doing it tonight and have it all except the thyme, not keen on thyme in dishes though so shall leave it without.

Persephone

Persephone Report 28 May 2014 06:27

Now there's a thought a GlossieAnn board.

I make a similar dish GlossieAnn but don't put peppers in as they don't agree but I chuck in other things like courgettes or egg plant.. Also use sundried tomatoes so cut back on the olive oil.. It is one of the ones I chop and change with. Often stick vine tomatoes on top and drizzle a bit of oil on it..

I love pumpkin but not everyone else does so I have some of that cooking on the side of the tray and stick a bit of garlic butter on that and then later crumble feta on it... I am a fan of using one tray or one casserole or one hotplate dish if I can.

We eat couscous quite a bit or quinoa... Have some brown and black rice mixed with quinoa which is rather nice.

Also use the Israeli pearly couscous, with a bit of shallots, garlic done in butter and chopped up bacon before adding the couscous and water. As I am the one doing the cooking I get to clean out the pot. I lurve bacon. <3

Persie

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 May 2014 13:21

I do use couscous sometimes but not come across the Israeli one Perse. Must look out for that, like the sound of it with garlic, shallots and bacon.
Not tried Quinoa at all, what is it like?

I have used courgettes in the chicken dish and sometimes not peppers. OH eats peppers but complains that they 'repeat'. Might try the sundried tomatoes as well next time.

I don't think a 'glossieann' board would go down well at all. I just wish people from the gen chat board would come over here and add to this one with their interests. Usually, even with gardening which is an 'interest' the threads just go on the gen board. :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 May 2014 13:35

Perse I have always used chicken thighs in that dish, filleted when I have them but also skin on, although the liquid is a bit fatty with skin on. I assume it could be done with diced chicken or turkey breast? Or do you think that would be too dry?

Pammy51

Pammy51 Report 28 May 2014 16:43

You could try it with a chicken breast (and especially for Perse) wrapped in bacon.

My mouth is watering at the thought! We're having pork slices and jewelled rice tonight. In our family I am known for my 'bung-it' dishes – find whatever is in the fridge and store cupboard and bung it in! I came across jewelled rice at my cousin's in Canada. I haven't included quantities as it is very much to individual taste.

Jewelled Rice

Fry some:-
Chopped Peppers (three colours if possible)
Quartered mushrooms
Chopped red onion
1 stick of chopped celery
1 crushed clove of garlic
in a little olive oil until just cooked so they don't loose their colours. Mix in chopped fresh herbs or 1 teaspoon of dried mixed herbs and season to taste.

Meanwhile cook some rice, adding a generous handful of frozen peas or dwarf green beans ten minutes before rice is cooked. Drain well and stir into the cooked vegetables.

Serve with chops, fresh tuna or whatever takes your fancy.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 May 2014 16:56

Oooh Pammy that sounds nice. Another one to try. :-D

Persephone

Persephone Report 29 May 2014 00:41

I use chicken thighs, skin off, try to keep fat content down himself is a diabetic and is also not supposed to eat too much fat and I know he will eat it if I left it on.. the only time a chicken gets to keep its skin in this house is when I roast one whole.

I very rarely use turkey GlossieAnn but it would work. (makes ya sleepy)

Last nights chicken thighs got chopped up and done in a bit of olive oil with chopped shallot, courgette and carrots (I had some small ones so they were easy to do in small circles... I did put a wee bit of chicken stock in the cast iron dish on the hob. I have plastic squirty bottles of lemon juice and Lime juice, so put a bit of lime juice in the mix and some chilli lime sauce... It didn't look enough and I had half a tin of mixed beans as in Kidney, borlotti etc so I drained them in the sieve and chucked them in and halved some cherry tomatoes and they got thrown in near the end ... oops forgot I had six little brussel sprouts so they got halved and put in near the beginning... I start with something and just add till I think that will do. I guess mine could be called a "bung it" dish Pammy.

I have oceans of recipe books and hand written note books and scrap books from mags and lots of cooking magazines.. and yet most nights it is just whatever and go for it. The other night the left over corn got chucked in scrambled eggs.

My father was a cook in the army and he would make do with whatever is at hand.. Though I do use more herbs that he ever did.

I will put up my cousin's son's recipes for Brussels .. he is a chef and does a cooking page in our Monday paper, his sister is the editor of that section called 'Bite.'

Persie

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 May 2014 09:39

Sounds good Perse. I will give turkey a go maybe as it is very low in fat.