Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

search for free burial records,advice needed

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amy

Amy Report 8 Aug 2016 00:39

Hi all

I was wondering anyone has any suggestions on searching burial/cremation and being able to get the records for free??
I've tried genes, ancestory, thegeneologist,fmp etc
But unable to see if the records are correct to the people I'm searching for....

Thanks in advance :-)

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 8 Aug 2016 06:48

Not sure about Free!, depends where you are looking for, you haven't said...

Anything coming up on 'google' search of place...

Chris :)

http://www.freereg.org.uk/

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Aug 2016 10:05

https://www.deceasedonline.com/ can be searched for free & will give date of death/burial/cremation but you have to pay to get more details.

Billionsofgraves & Findagrave for details from headstones.

Not all cemetery/crematorium have been covered.

We're assuming the UK. Bear in mind the time you posted, would you be looking outside the country?

Amy

Amy Report 8 Aug 2016 23:44

Hi Sorry for not replying sooner, I've searched all of the web googled everything I can think of...... I didn't know about 'Billionsofgraves' but have since searched and unable to find what I'm looking for.

+++DetEcTive+++ I'm in the UK just a bit of a night owl.

Im looking for two people who lived in Hither Green Lane, Lewisham and have searched grave records and cremation records using Google but they don't seem to be anywhere. Perhaps as was mentioned they haven't been recorded.

Is there any other way of finding records??

Thanks in advance

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Aug 2016 23:54

Eltham Crematorium/ Cemetery or Hither Green Crematorium, would be a good bet.

Try https://www.deceasedonline.com/ as they have pretty good coverage. If the disposal was in the last few years, its possible that the records aren't on line.

Hither Green aka Lewisham Crematorium, records from 1956 - 1995
Eltham Crematorium/Cemetery records go up to 1996.

Later ones aren't available as they may give current address for the person who paid for or organised the funeral.

Which year were you after?

mgnv

mgnv Report 9 Aug 2016 20:26

Lewisham has four cemeteries and one crematorium.
https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/birthsdeathsmarriagesCP/deaths/Pages/cemeteries-and-crematoriums.aspx

Amy

Amy Report 9 Aug 2016 23:25

I've already found one person on deceased online but the person I'm really after isn't listed and that is the wife of the deceased. I believe she died in 1981 but I am starting to doubt this as I can find someone listed against hither green but she has a middle name and my lady doesn't.....

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Aug 2016 00:27

Did the wife die before or after her husband? Did either of them leave Wills or need to have Grants of Probate?

You can search for entries on the Probate Calendar although it costs £10 to be sent a copy of the Will/Grant
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Deceasedonline have an offer on at the moment if you think you can stretch to £5 to view burial/cremation details

Quoting from an email sent today......

Under the 'buy one get one free' offer, all voucher purchases, which start from only £5.00, will be doubled in value. For every voucher purchased, the same value will be added to your account in the form of a bonus

When purchasing vouchers simply click on 'add a promotion code' and enter the special code AUG16DBLV in the box provided

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Aug 2016 07:52

I know you would have to pay for it but have you looked at who is buried in the lair with her husband please? When I searched for an ancestor on deceased online, he didn't show on the search results but when I paid to check the lair of his daughter and son in law he was buried in the same lair and I got the details. His grandchildren had had a headstone erected naming their parents but hadn't included their grandfather.

Amy

Amy Report 10 Aug 2016 17:10

The husband died first and I purchased the record from deceased online last night which says he was cremated and the ashes taken away, so I'm wondering if they were scattered somewhere rather than being placed in the cemetery. She died after, I thought I'd found her but the person I found had a middle name listed at the same crematorium and my person doesn't have one listed on their birth certificate.

I don't know if either of them had Wills or need to have Grants of Probate, this one is rather a long story :)
I will try searching on the calendar and see if it shows me anything.

Many thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Aug 2016 17:14

Look for the death reg for the female who you are considering. That should give you their age and dob as known to the informant. It might help you to decide if it might be correct.

Its unlikely to be on freebmd but might be on (free) Familysearch as well as the subscription sites

Amy

Amy Report 10 Aug 2016 17:17

Just out of interest are there any sites anyone is aware of where you can search burial / cremation records by the person listing the death??

Thanks in advance

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Aug 2016 17:24

A short answer - No!

Actually, the person who organises the cremation won't necessarily be the one who registered the death.
Child A registers the death - Child B goes to the undertaker or possibly even sibling, surviving spouse or any combination you can think of?

If you can overcome your reluctance to give names and years, we might be able to find what you are looking for. At the very least we might be able to back track to rule out the 'possible' death. We don't need to know the 'back story'.

Can you track down the historical ER for the year the husband died? Its likely to be held at the nearest Archive or Library with a Local Studies Section. You could then work forward until the wife disappears from the address. Obviously there'd be a charge if you couldn't visit in person.

Did the wife have children or other relatives in another part of the country whom she may have moved close to?

Amy

Amy Report 10 Aug 2016 17:32

There's no reluctance it's just that people on genes have been so helpful so far I feel a bit awkward asking for further help :)

The person I've found already is Ronald Eric Wright he died 5th October 1979 and I have his cremation record. I'm trying to confirm the death year for his wife Nellie Wright formally Carter she was born Sept 1912, I thought she died in March 1981 but I'm now not so sure as there is a nellie Helen wright with the same dates. Their last known address was Iona Close, Ravensbourne.

Does this help??

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Aug 2016 17:41

So we can see what you have found

Nellie Helen Wright
CrematedOn: 30 March 1981
Recorded at: Hither Green Crematorium (Lewisham)
Date of death 08 February 1981

That's a fair old time beteen death & cremation!

The closest death reg which you are probably considering is
Nellie Wright
Birth Date: 4 Sep 1914
Date of Registration: Mar 1981
Age at Death: 66
Registration district: Lewisham
Inferred County: London
Volume: 14
Page: 0617

Have you found them on the 1939 register to check dob?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Aug 2016 17:48

1939 register

Wright Household (4 People) Carlands South Road , Lewisham, London, England

First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number

Nellie Wright 04 Sep 1914 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married 111 4
Ronald E Wright 14 Oct 1912 Male Advertising Consultant Married 111 1
William I (L) Long 02 Mar 1905 Male Company Director Print Married 111 2
Cyril E (J) Child 25 Jan 1912 Male Commercial Artist & Des Single 111 3
+ one Closed Record

The death certainly seems to 'fit'. Its cheaper to access the cremation register than to buy the DC especially if you took advantage of the 'double up' offer.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Aug 2016 17:51

There is NO Nellie Helen Wright death reg in England or Wales in 1981. The info is only as good as the informant's knowledge. Its possible that they weren't sure if she was a Nellie or a Helen, hence the Funeral Director adding Helen to the booking.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Aug 2016 20:22

Nell, Nellie are diminutives of Helen. Perhaps her birth was registered as Helen but she was known as Nellie but her "proper" name was included as a middle name when her death was registered.

Amy

Amy Report 10 Aug 2016 21:36

Hi her dob was 4th sept 1914 she was definitely registered as Nellie Carter as I have a copy of her birth certificate, she married Ronald in Dec 1937. My thought are that her daughter would have registered the death.

The details I have from a death register is:

Name Nellie Wright
Birth Date 4 Sep 1914
Date of Registration Mar 1981
Age at Death 66
Registration district Lewisham
Inferred County London
Volume 14
Page 0617

What I was hoping for is looking through burial records to find where she was buried/cremated and if there may be a grave stone, obviously this may not be the case if she was cremated and the ashes scattered.....
On deceasedonline I have found a Nellie Helen Wright also cremated at hither green crem but it would seem strange that the name is wrong if my susspissions are potential true, how could the name be wrong?? Which is why I was wondering if there are other websites which could tell me this information?

I hope I'm making some sense :-)

Perhaps I'm a little too hopeful that there is something somewhere that his this level of detail....

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Aug 2016 23:22

Don't think so - due to the delay between the death, registration and cremation, would it be worth searching local papers for possible articles?

You've said that you are after 'free' reports - unless you search historical ER and possible newspapers in person, there is going to be some fee involved.
With no headstone, there's not going to be anything on Billionsofgraves or Findagrave where the details/photo's are uploaded.

FH research is not a cheap hobby - if you can, bite the bullet and access the cremation records