General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Kindle - which one?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 28 Nov 2014 19:31

I am having pressure brought upon me past couple of weeks ever since OH returned from library and announced they were now able to tell him which books I had already read. Good idea that is - however he then followed up with info I have borrowed 1354 books! Asked what the period was - he never asked.

See that there are different types of Kindle help please.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 28 Nov 2014 20:03

Well if you mostly want it to read books and magazines then the Fire HD tablet is best value at around £ 100. Another option is the Fire HD Phone which is free on contract but a bit challenging for extended book reading. There is no point on getting the more expensive ones unless you want high quality streaming video. Some use a TV for that.

If you are happy to stay with black and white the Paperwhite is about £ 80. It is easy to read even in sunlight and the battery lasts much longer. IMHO the monochrome ones are better for reading. Kobo is best for the tight fisted. If you look around you can get a Kobo for under £ 50.

Another option is the Tesco Huddle 2 which is a super piece of kit for about £ 120. It runs the Kindle app fine and is a lot more versatile than the FireHD. You can knock the price in half if you have enough club vouchers.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Nov 2014 20:08

Don't limit yourself to a Kindle - there are other e-readers around. You can download an App from Amazon to access the Kindle books.

That aside, decide if you want a touch screen to turn the page, or a page press.
Do you want a light so that you can read when the house lights are out?
Are you going to use it for only reading, or to access other parts of the internet?

Mine is considered ancient now and has the equivalent of a page press. That way I can hold it in one hand and use that thumb to press the relevant bar on the side.
An intregal light would be handy if you want to read in bed while he wants to sleep. Its is possible to buy clip on LED lights.

One thing I did find I needed was a cover. Although the kindles are slim, they need a bit bulking up to make them more comfortable to hold for any length of time

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 28 Nov 2014 20:09

I have the paperwhite and it is very good! ;-)

Mersey

Mersey Report 28 Nov 2014 20:12

I have a Kindle HD and I loves it....great and so easy to use :-)

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 28 Nov 2014 20:19

I have a Kindle Light cause of RA in my hands. :-)

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 28 Nov 2014 20:21

OH has the Paperwhite, which he is very happy with. When I first started thinking of ebooks didn't go for Kindle as I understood I would be unable to use the public library. In the end I decided to get a tablet (Google Nexus 7) which I do enjoy having as a portable computer, and can download books on it very easily. I mostly use Kobo. I can use the public library but the app looks a bit complicated and I haven't got round to it. The tablet of course doesn't have nearly such a long battery life, mine is about 8 hours which is fine as I'm not away from home that much. OH's Paperwhite is said to be 30 hours.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 28 Nov 2014 20:34

Paperwhite, nice and light to hold so it doesn't tire your hand. It has the matt e ink which has no glare so you can read it outside

I can read on my ipad but all tablets are back lit which is a strain on the eyes, the kindle is far easier to read

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Nov 2014 21:10

I love my kindle but it is the original one so a bit old now

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 29 Nov 2014 01:07

you need to think carefully about what will saute you best

i have the kindle paperwhite 3G
this has a background light so no need to have a lamp on in the bedroom
also the 3G will download books from any were
and dont need to be plug in computer like some do

but like the e.book or the nook book you can download books from the library

i also have the kindle fire but can not get on with it
5 year old grandson now thinks its his as he plays games on it :-) :-) :-)

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 29 Nov 2014 12:22

Thank you one and all. Plenty of info. Am really only interested in books. So paperwhite appears to be a starting point.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 29 Nov 2014 16:17

Have had my Kindle for many years now, as OH, and I have the Kindle app on my Tablet. Could not imagine life without them now.

I do still buy books, but only reference or biographies. All my fiction reading is on my Kindle.

As said do look around. Rather than just looking at ereaders, look at the many tablets around and see if any of those might suit you better, with the ereader apps (Kindle etc.,) you do not need to limit yourself to just an ereader. And with a tablet (or ereader with internet access) you can get on here as well.

I think Which are doing a free 'Which Tablet' leaflet. I have had a couple of these in the past. You do have to take out a sub (costs £1.00) but they do tell you the date to cancel so you are not charged any more. Their leaflets (small booklets) are really good.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 29 Nov 2014 16:36

Thank you

OldYorkshireBloke

OldYorkshireBloke Report 29 Nov 2014 19:17

love books but wouldn't be without my Kindle Paperwhite now -so easy to drop into your pocket when you wouldn't think of carrying a book.
Going abroad it's great, saves so much weight in the case - used to take 6 or 7 books with me.
Also good free books if you check regularly

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 30 Nov 2014 12:34

Have found so many new 'self published' authors, or those who only get published via online book suppliers. I have discovered David Robinson (his S.T.A.C.) books are fantastic. Anthea Frazer and Leslie Cookman, just to name 3. And all less than £2.00.

All the known authors books are usually still the same price, but you can get a great selection of books for FREE or less than £1.00

And as said do check the offers, some authors will 'sell' a book for free for 1 day. Have had books by Ian Rankin, Val McDairmid and other greats this way.

I think that after the iniital outlay, my kindle and tablet have more than paid their way with the books I have 'bought'.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Nov 2014 18:31

Couldn't agree more about the savings.

I plow through the 'free' books online at least once a week. Although it does mean that the charity shops have missed out on my purchases, its saved a lot of arguements about overloaded bookshelves ;-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 2 Dec 2014 15:52

Have got rid of ALL my paperbacks.

This year our local charity shops have had between them over 500 books!!!

And my home is still full of books........

I think I have a problem .....

My name is Christine and I am a book hoarder .......... :-D <3

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Dec 2014 16:13

:-D given the chance, I'd be the same <3

OH put his foot down when the 2 living room bookshelf units were being double-racked. Although I agreed to dispose of many, a number of 'series' were secretly relocated to empty shelving in an unused bedroom......until our son let the cat out of the bag. :-| :-0

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Dec 2014 16:36

I reckon I still have close to 100 paperbacks on my shelves still to read, every so often I make myself read a couple instead of those on the kindle. I do still enjoy the feel of a real book. :-)

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 2 Dec 2014 17:24

OH only imparted this little gem to me today - that the last time he was in library a lady came in and asked if they would like these three books - paperback and in clean condition - Librarian said she would take any books in clean condition.

There is a surprise - mine have always gone to charity shops.