General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Girraffe

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 May 2016 23:53

Has anybody tried a restaurant chain called Girraffe?

We are going to a funeral and staying away for a couple of nights and I have noticed there is one of these nearby.

The veggie food looks interesting but I notice they use chilli .I hate chilli with a vengeance (delicate little mouth?) and was wondering how heavy handed they were with it and whether I could ask them not to put chilli in at all.

Von

Von Report 30 May 2016 00:04

Sharron
I hate chilli with a vengeance too but I have eaten in the Giraffe chain without any problem. Mind you it wasn't veggie food.
There is usually quite a varied menu so choose wisely.
Having looked at the menu your choice maybe limited though.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 30 May 2016 01:41

They are part of Tesco. Every little...

Island

Island Report 30 May 2016 12:18

Give them a ring and ask if they can do the veggie option without chilli.

Unless it's chilli con herbie of course because that would be silly. ;-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 May 2016 13:28

Is Tesco known to be heavy handed with the chilli?

Island

Island Report 30 May 2016 13:34

I think it's another of Rollos' attempts at being enigmatic :-S

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 30 May 2016 13:44

But not for long methinks, Rollo.

I'd be surprised if Tesco held on to the Giraffe franchise chain if it's not going to be profitable.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 30 May 2016 14:37

Over the last ten years Tesco have lost enough shareholder value in their various enterprises to make the likes of British Steel (as was) look like beginners. If the company closed all their loss making lines (including accrued loss) there would be no more Tesco. Who would miss them?

I tried Giraffe once for lunch. Well, it is a lot better than the cafeteria's which they replaced but very mediocre all the same. Should have gone to Weatherspoon's.

The next meeting I got the guy to come to the Holloway Road which is far from being the sort of bleak and / or expensive desert typical of provincial England. Good nosh, good price. The provinces tend to have a choice between PizzaExpress, pub chains, TGIF or pretentious foodie pubs and alleged restaurants charging the earth for posh nosh not worth a button - ask Maggie, Winchester has both kinds wall to wall.

Anybody eating Asian fast food late at night probably lists Russian roulette as a favorite past time.

How Giraffe copes with food allergy and such I have no idea.

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 May 2016 15:09

And nor do I care.

I really have no interest in Tesco's profitability, nor, indeed, what Maggie has.

I really just wanted to know how heavy handed Giraffe were with the chille.

Rambling

Rambling Report 30 May 2016 16:15

They have a FB page, opinions seem varied, though no one mentions the chilli lol. one thing you might want to check is that they add a service charge, I don't particularly like that.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 30 May 2016 16:26

Well TESCO must be serious about chille 'cos (a) they have chille plants in the gardens section and they sell this

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2708961/New-Tesco-chilli-HOT-s-like-eating-napalm-Our-man-fire-extinguisher-hand-tucks-Trinidad-Scorpion.html

If you don't want chille Giraffe has a menu full of bland boring things to eat at not especially interesting prices. I know somebody who eats there everyday who says Giraffe is worth enduring 'cos it has fast wifi ... she also says it is crammed full of noisy kids 3:30 - 6 when mums.net hogs the wifi.

I remember now I took my mum there once for tea (she doesn't like anything hot or spicy ) and her verdict was very negative. She thought the service poor and the cakes stale. Shame 'cos I could have saved a few pounds on car parking.

Apparently Tesco are now trying to flog them to whoever wants to take a punt. The original owners have long banked their cash and moved on.

What we really need is somebody to have the guts to take control of our High Streets and restore Lyon's Corner Shop, Wimpy, Golden Egg, Bernis and such. Give the immigrants food coupons only redeemable at KFC and the problem would soon be solved ;-)

There used to be a very nice place located in God Begot House in Winchester with excellent light meals, wonderful squishy cakes, tea and coffee and friendly service. Needless to say it has been replaced by a pizzeria.

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 May 2016 16:29

And?

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 30 May 2016 16:33

well, you know how it goes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8huXkSaL7o

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 May 2016 16:37

No, I have no idea at all.

Do you?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 30 May 2016 17:05

I know exactly how it goes, Rollo, because my Mum told me :-D

During the war when she was pregnant with me her major craving was Spam :-D

Sharron, just don't pick anything with chilli in it but I expect you do that wherever you go. Looking online, there seems to be a variety of foods at Giraffe.

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 May 2016 17:07

It all looks so interesting but then it says chilli.

Unfortunately, when it comes to chilli, one menu's subtle is another menu's gob burner.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 30 May 2016 20:39

I use it quite often in Kings Cross station because it is quick. The food is OK, but I would not choose go there if I had other choices. I have never had any chilli in the food

Sharron

Sharron Report 30 May 2016 21:42

Thank you.

I was just interested in there being something different in the way of vegetarian food.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Jun 2016 01:17

I don't like Chilli, pretentiousness,(of any sort) or cr*p food, so usually cook for myself.
The Black Boy, however does fantastic beer and a marvellous beef sandwich - but no good for Sharron, and her quest for the type of vegetarian food sold at Girraffe.

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Jun 2016 01:24

I think it might be quite a long way from where I am going too.