General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What is your biggest family ?

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 11 Jan 2024 18:39

Just added 17 children all except one was born in the marriage. Wife had an illegitimate son.

Father born 1840 died 1886.
Mother born 1843 died 1924.

Last child born 1885 looks like she wore him out :-0

Edit…..at the 1911 census 9 were living and 8 had died.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 11 Jan 2024 19:06

I have one lady who had 7 children, the husband died very young and within the year she married again and had a further 6 children!!! I guess she needed to find a "sugar daddy" to look after them all. This was also in the 1850's

I'm still working on all the "twigs" and will be for some time to come. Keeps me out of mischief unlike my ancestors ;-)

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 11 Jan 2024 19:15

Are you sure she did not slip something in his tea Mr. M :-D :-D :-D

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 11 Jan 2024 20:27

**Ann** :-D :-D :-D

I can’t match 17 but my great grandmother had 13 who all survived though one died in a road accident when he was about 12. She was small and slim and didn’t look very strong but at age 97 she was dancing at my wedding.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 11 Jan 2024 22:15

I have several 10 's and 11's, plus a 12.
My g grandfather's youngest brother married and had 12 children. Of these, 3 died before adulthood, 5 daughters and 1 son never married or had children.
Of the remaining 3, 1 daughter married and had no children. 1 son married and had 1 daughter, who married and had 1 daughter, who never married or had children. The final son married and had 1 daughter who never married or had children. So there are no descendants from him left now, the last's flat was sold in 2008, so she either died or moved.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 11 Jan 2024 22:54

I despair when i agree to do a friend their family tree and then discover it is a huge tree with so many kids!!
Can you imagine having 12 kids today??

My mum was one of 13 but several early ones died. 6 survived and 2 are still living, my aunties. 1is 89 and the youngest is nearly 80.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Jan 2024 23:26

I don't have any families with more than 12, but OH's gt gt grandfather had 20 children, and they all lived!

He married in 1831, the first child was born in 1832 and the last in 1860. There was never more than 2 years between them. There is a somewhat persistent rumour among the few descendants that there was a child that died, presumably between #19 and #20, but I can find absolutely no trace of it, unless it was a miscarriage at an early stage. However #20 was the only child to have more than 1 forename, she had 3, and her first name apparently is Latin for 21 :-S

He died in January 1869 aged 62 of kidney disease, his wife died about 3 weeks later aged 54 of "Chronic Disease of the Heart".

I reckon he wore her out!!

As grannyfranny found, most of the children didn't marry or didn't have children.so there are a limited number of descendants.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 12 Jan 2024 10:13

On Mum's side, her maternal grandfather's eldest brother had 13, from 2 marriages. The first 3 were boys and all the rest were girls. I haven't got lifespans for all of them, but the males all lived to a good age (must be the Dorset air!).

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 12 Jan 2024 10:27

My mum came from a family of 12. Her family were Catholic, so most of her ancestors had similar sized families or larger :-0. I've had an Ancestry DNA Test and on my mum's side alone I have 50,183 matches and counting :-0

Florence61

Florence61 Report 12 Jan 2024 11:27

There is a family on 1 of the Scottish islands(not mine) and she has 22 children! over 50 grandchildren and great grandchildren. This was in the last 30 years not the 1850's.

I wont name the family as are currently living but it's a huge family!

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 12 Jan 2024 13:18

The illegitimate son’s daughter married my Great Uncle.

I think she put something in his tea to keep him going to have 16 children Ann :-0 :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 12 Jan 2024 14:27

;-) ;-) :-D :-D :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 12 Jan 2024 14:53

I don't know if this is the same family as the one Florence mentioned, but there is series on Sundays on Channel 5 (currently in series 4) about Noel and Sue Radford, called "22 kids and counting".. She is expecting no. 23!!

I haven't been watching it, but am quoting Radio Times!

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 12 Jan 2024 15:01

The Radfords are from Morecambe.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 12 Jan 2024 15:38

One of my Wiltshire side of the family had 20 children which included 3 sets of twins and they all survived into adulthood :-0 :-0 :-0 :-D. Seeing as they are my direct line I was sweating when I had my kids as my OH is one of twins and he also has a younger set of twins. Thank goodness mine were single births :-D :-D :-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 12 Jan 2024 15:50

LG I bet you were worried :-D :-D

Andys mum, no not the Radfords, this family are in Scotland.

Personally I cant think why anyone in this modern age would want a huge number of children??? The cost of bringing them up, size of house you need etc. Its very unfair making 4 children share a room. The poor mother and all that washing, cooking etc beggars belief.
Why Sue Radford is having another I cant imagine.After mine reached 15 plus, I got a bit of my life back and has some freedom. So still changing nappies after 22 years is beyond my comprehension :-D

Florence in the hebrides

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 12 Jan 2024 17:11

Just a bit ;-) :-D :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 12 Jan 2024 20:52

One of my friends born 1950s was one of 12 children living in a 4 bedroom house when their mum made tea she would put half a packet of tea in a massive tea pot she said it was normal and they didn't know any different.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 13 Jan 2024 01:01

If children are solely breastfed, this usually limits the number of children to one every 24 to 30 months - depending on how long, and often, they are breastfed for.
I definitely wanted 2 children.
Eldest was on solids, with the occasional feed, but just rejected me at 17 months - Literally - time for a feed - 'No thanks mum!'
Then I found out I was expecting No. 2, who was born when No.1 was 25 months old!
So eldest child knew I was expecting before I did!

Eldest child is now (suitably) a breast feeding consultant, who checks on the progress of babies when not being a consultant :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Jan 2024 03:43

maggie .......

that limiting by breastfeeding doesn't always work out.

OH's sister breastfed, found out she was expecting #2 when #1 was about 6 months old .................. so 15 months between them,

My brother's wife had a similar happening, except there is only 13 months between #1 and #2, and there was nearly a #3 at a similar spacing only she lost it at an early stage.