Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestors born in Australia

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Colin

Colin Report 17 Jul 2016 07:37

Can anybody tell me how to locate my Ancestors in Australia, I have put their names in name search, but only find those people born in the United Kingdom, am I doing something wrong.

Regards

Colin

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Jul 2016 08:50

You need access to websites like Ancestry or Find My Past

Depending on when they were born though they may not be accessible online

You could also try Family Search Site for ancestors

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 Jul 2016 12:57

Hi there Colin

care to give us some names and dates in case we can help you?

Unknown

Unknown Report 17 Jul 2016 12:59

You can look up on the RYERSON INDEX which will give you deaths in Australia. I was looking for someone in New South Wales so looked up on NSW/BDM.gov.au. Not sure what other area wold be.
Regards Carolyn.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 18 Jul 2016 11:04

Many Australian states have records available on line up to a certain cutoff date, which varies. But records are held at the state level, not combined.

As Carolyn says, NSW is one of those states.

Just do an internet search for the name of the state in question, with 'BDM' or 'BMD' in the search terms, and you will find the state's genealogy website where you will be able to do searches. (I'm not sure which states do not have online records, but most do.)

that is, if you know the names of some people who were born/married/died long enough ago that their records are publicly available!

Pam

Pam Report 18 Jul 2016 17:20

If it is an unusual surname you could try the Australian White Pages (telephone).

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

KevinL

KevinL Report 20 Jul 2016 14:54

Colin
I have access to Ancestry, MyHeritage and the SA Genealogy, and access to most Sate records (available on public web pages for each State).
Ancestry.com has a lot of immigration records, Electoral rolls etc, but you need to be careful as names are commonly miss spelt (or names reversed)
If you are using Ancestry, ensure you are selecting "Australia" in the search area.
You can PM details to me if that will help.
Some of the State Lib's will assist

Do you have any idea which States the people live in?

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 30 Jul 2016 06:41

Hi Colin, happy to help if I can :) I have a lookups thread on the 'Find ancestors' page.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 31 Jul 2016 01:35

Cherilyn it would make sense to post the link ;)

Your thread isn't on the first 3 pages of 'Ancestors' and it would be pretty hard to find any other way ...

Of course, Colin hasn't said anything to indicate he's noticing replies.

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 31 Jul 2016 07:31

My thinking was that Colin could post here, not on my thread...tho it is currently on page 2.

But got a PM saying he's only just seen the replies but nothing more, and now I see he has indicated the request is sorted. I'm thinking he and KevinL may have already exchanged info by PM.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 31 Jul 2016 22:24

Ah, I get it.

Unfortunately, I think Colin fell into the trap of marking some particular post as answered, whyever people do that, when he hasn't actually found what he's looking for.

Yes, hopefully he and KevinL will get somewhere :-)

Colin

Colin Report 3 Aug 2016 02:02

Hi everyone sorry for my slip up, all the information you have supplied has been very helpful at this stage KevinL is helping me out with some of my ancestors but I am still trying to find my great great grandfather Thomas Jackson.

This is what I have gleaned so far from all of you.

My Grandmother: Kathleen Eileen Bell (nee Jackson) was born at Coolamon NSW in 1917.

Her Parents were: Father Patrick Jackson born 1/4/1866 in Picton NSW

Mother: Annie Jackson(nee Waldron)

Patricks Father: Thomas Jackson, born 1834

Mother: Anne Newman, born 1834 Limerick Ireland. Both parents were listed on Patrick birth certificate as being 28 years of age at time of his birth.

Thomas's Mother: Catherine?

Father: Unknown.

So folks, thank you very much for your assistance and any assistance you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Colin :-)

malyon

malyon Report 3 Aug 2016 11:13

Patrick Jackson

mentioned in the record of Patrick Jackson and Annie Waldren

Name Patrick Jackson
Spouse's Name Annie Waldren
Event Date 16 Sep 1900
Event Place St. Michaels, R.C., Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, Australia
Father's Name Thomas Jackson
Mother's Name Margaret Anne Noonan
Spouse's Father's Name Michael Waldren
Spouse's Mother's Name Mary Anne Robins

malyon

malyon Report 3 Aug 2016 11:17

is this Patrick's first marriage

Name Patrick Jackson
Spouse's Name Mary Anne Mckay
Event Date 30 Sep 1894
Mother's Name Marg. Noonan
Spouse's Father's Name William John Campball
Spouse's Mother's Name Mary Keenan

Thomas Jackson

mentioned in the record of William Jackson and Emily Amelia Waldren

Name Thomas Jackson
gender Male
Wife Margaret Anne Nolan
Son William Jackson

Name William Jackson
Spouse's Name Emily Amelia Waldren
Event Date 22 Apr 1900
Mother's Name Margaret Anne Nolan
Spouse's Father's Name Michael Waldren
Spouse's Mother's Name Anne Wright

malyon

malyon Report 3 Aug 2016 11:26

is this Thomas no father's name

Thomas Jackson

Australia Births and Baptisms

Name Thomas Jackson
Gender Male
Christening Date 06 Apr 1834
Christening Place ST. JOHN, PARRAMATTA, NEW SOUTH WALES, AUSTRALIA
Birth Date 17 Mar 1834
Mother's Name Catherine Jackson

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Aug 2016 23:46

If that is Thomas (Colin, did you have that info but not say you had the record?), then unfortunately, you just are not likely going to find out who Thomas's father was.

Did your grandmother Kathleen have any brothers, and does a brother have a living son or a son's son? If so, you could consider DNA testing. The male-line DNA - YDNA goes from father to son to grandson and so on down with very little change along the way - is the best test available for tracing male ancestors. You could consider that, if you have cousins in the male line (probably named Jackson, that is).

At a company like Family Tree DNA (the one I use), you might find a match ... or one might come up in future as more people test ... that would give you a clue as to what Thomas's father's surname was.

Any idea whether Catherine Jackson married after Thomas's birth? If it was soon after, she might have married his father ... but he might more likely have adopted the father's surname then ...

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Aug 2016 23:59

Another thing is that it's common for a son of unmarried parents to be named for the father. There were two Catherine Jackson marriages in NSW around the right time ... both to Thomas !!

1692/1837 V18371692 21
MC DONALD THOMAS
JACKSON CATHERINE
district CI

650/1850 V1850650 36B
BORTH THOMAS
JACKSON CATHERINE
CY

1837 looks possible. Neither couple seems to have had children after registration started in 1855.

If Cherilyn is looking in - do you know what districts 'CI' and 'CY' were?

Colin

Colin Report 4 Aug 2016 02:37

Hi Joonie, Yes my grandmother had a brother Thomas Jackson born about 1920 he passed away a couple of years ago, but he has a son Timothy Jackson I think his name is and a daughter Tammy.

The only record of Patricks parents are on a copy of a Patricks birth certificate and it states that his father name is: Thomas Jackson 28 years of age, born Picton NSW and his mothers name was Anne Newman 28 years of age born in Limerick Ireland, they were married at Deniliquin NSW in October 1858. But that is all I have on Thomas at the moment.

Joonie, the District Codes on the entries are in relation to Church of England References.

District CI: Campbelltown

District CY: Lower Hawkesbury.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Aug 2016 16:03

ah yes, before registration started so not districts, got it.

now just a question,

'Patrick Jackson born 1/4/1866'

and father Thomas Jackson was 28, so Thomas was born abt 1838 not 1834?

1665/1858
JACKSON THOMAS
NEWMAN ANN
DENILIQUIN

do you have that marriage certificate? and if so, no mention of Thomas's parents? or just mother?

and up above you said

Patricks Father: Thomas Jackson, born 1834
Mother: Not known.

so that marriage of Thomas and Ann is new info you have found?

(If Kevin has found other info for you, do tell us!)

and do you know when Thomas died, and no mention of parents on his death certificate? (not surprising if he was a good age, maybe wife died before him, children did not know his parents' names, etc.)

There are two Thomas Jackson deaths in the NSW records with mother Catherine,1891 and 1896, fathers William and John

but your idea that Thomas's mother was Catherine, is that maybe from the 1834 record that malyon posted above? or what other source?

If 'traditional' genealogy searches do not find any more about Thomas's father, you do have a male-line descendant in your grandmother's brother's son (whom you would have to interest in the project and persuade to spit on a stick for you). So you could always consider DNA testing to look for a match. Some people (like me :-) ) find it a fun process, for others it is too complicated and it is often frustrating because very few people have the crazy wild good luck I had of finding a match that gave me info I would never ever have got otherwise.

A match, if you found one, could be anywhere in the world, with someone in England or Ireland whose ancestor did not emigrate, or someone in Australia who is more closely related (say descended from Thomas's father or brother), or someone in North America whose ancestor emigrated there. My own is with someone in California whose ancestor emigrated to Michigan in the US, but who came from the same little part of Cornwall as my ancestor.

My childhood pen pal was a Waldron in QLD ... there are only 500 or so Waldrons in the Australian white pages, maybe you are related :-D

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 5 Aug 2016 02:18

You have Annie WALDREN as born in Limerick Ireland, yet her parents (according to the marriage record posted) married in Wagga Wagga in 1878...

987/1878
WALDREN MICHAEL
ROBINS MARY A
WAGGA WAGGA

For reference as previously posted:
Name Patrick Jackson
Spouse's Name Annie Waldren
Event Date 16 Sep 1900
Mother's Name Margaret Anne Noonan
**Spouse's Father's Name Michael Waldren**