General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Super Red Moon TONIGHT

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Jan 2019 15:14

Will any of you Skywatchers be watching tonight / early morning?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46908305

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Jan 2019 16:15

I think it will be too cloudy here, cloudy all day today and misty too.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 20 Jan 2019 16:48

That's a shame Ann.

I'm just back from a short local walk and saw that the moon looks huge in the sky to the north east of here.

There was very little cloud as we've had a really sunny day.... I wonder if the cloud will stay away into the night though......

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 20 Jan 2019 16:51

Thanks Gwyn :-)

I may just have a peep if I have to get up for one of my trips to the loo in the night! :-D

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 20 Jan 2019 17:30

I will take a look :-D :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Jan 2019 00:55

Really bright and clear out there at the moment, but will it be the same at the crucial time........?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Jan 2019 03:45

we're watching the beginning of it right now ............ it's 7:45 pm in the evening for us, the peak will come between about 8:30 pm and 9:40 pm.

So very nicely timed :-D

It is a beautiful clear sky at the moment. OH is trying to take photos of it at 15 minute intervals!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 21 Jan 2019 05:20

Sylvia
That's a great time for viewing.
I hope OH gets some good photos, as the night is clear for you there.

I've just been out to take a look.
Clear, crisp night with heavy frost giving a good view of the moon.

The eclipse does not show so bright in contrast as earlier, but the colouring is more red now.

Would like to stay out longer, but it's so cold.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Jan 2019 05:54

I hope we got some photos, although OH's big camera developed a problem ........... when he clicked the shutter the telephoto lens started to move in and out :-S

It has been clear all the time. I'm just going to go out and see if I can get a shot of the shadow moving away from the moon. It's a wee bit chilly out on the patio though, and it's also feeling as though there is a little water falling ......... the railing is wet when I touch it.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 21 Jan 2019 13:50

I think it may have been cloudy although I didn'y get up early morning. At 1am the moon was clear but very high in the sky.

Caroline

Caroline Report 21 Jan 2019 13:58

Sylvia...a wee bit chilly... :-D :-D lucky you
Didn't fancy going outside at 10.30 to see it, didn't want to open the curtains either LOL but saw the full moon at 5 this morning not the blood moon as such though.

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 21 Jan 2019 14:02

The only think I was looking at at 5am
was the back of my eye lids

Though I have seen some pretty pictures of the event on Facebook :-D :-D

Gillx

Gillx Report 21 Jan 2019 14:10

OH and I watched the whole eclipse from start to finish. It was AMAZING, the only time we couldn't see it properly, as the cloud was a bit to thick, was just before totality but after about 20 minutes the clouds moved away to reveal a dark red moon. We watched it until it went down when the moon was very big and bright yellow, the same as when it was rising and slowly moved down out of view. At the same time the sun was coming up and the birds were singing the dawn chorus.

What a beautiful ending to a wonderful, magical night and something OH and I will never forget. <3 <3

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 21 Jan 2019 14:17

You were lucky! When we went to bed there was a clear sky and the moon looked huge, but when I woke up at about 4.30 it had clouded over. I could see light behind the clouds where the moon was, but no detail at all. So I went back to bed!!

Caroline

Caroline Report 21 Jan 2019 14:17

I wouldn't be up at 5 either except then oldest would never wake up for work and youngest to college!!

David

David Report 21 Jan 2019 16:26

I saw it in part this morning, but it was too cold to stand out for long.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 21 Jan 2019 16:30

Gill - very envious!

In the UK astronomical events always seem to be thwarted by the meteorological ones!

JemimaFawr

JemimaFawr Report 21 Jan 2019 16:31

Well I set my alarm!
I too watched it from beginning to end.

It was a clear night and very cold. It was spectacular. It would only have been better if we had driven to a darker place. Even with the light pollution it was amazing.

Here are some photos from the start until totality if anyone is interested.

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/87409773

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/87409601

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/87409897

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/87409882

Thanks for telling us Gwyn:-)

David

David Report 21 Jan 2019 16:43

My wife and I watched it from our front door, good visibility, but before I went in out of the cold it was white, ie its normal colour.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Jan 2019 17:35

Jem, photos 3 & 4 are spectacular.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, we were both asleep. We happened to be speaking to a charity shop worker this afternoon. She was enthralled at the sight.