General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another disgusting creation

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Aug 2019 16:09

I don't eat fried bread very often, generally with a breakfast in a café, but I do like it and there is a seeded bread that Lidl do that fries exceptionally well.

One of our biddies said that, if you put sugar o fried bread, it tastes like doughnuts.

This morning, with nothing better to think about, I wondered what marmalade would be like on fried bread.

Well, I know now, and it is a bit good, I can tell you. A bit greasy/oily but you wouldn't want to eat it very often.

Oh yum, yum.

Maddie

Maddie Report 11 Aug 2019 16:32

we used to have drippping with ours when we were kids

whats dripping they ask :-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Aug 2019 17:04

Loved the brown bits in dripping, Maddie. :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Aug 2019 18:20

We had dripping toast
It needed the jelly as well as the brown bits and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper

Mum would say no more I need the fat for cooking in the week

She would send one of us to the butcher to buy a lump of beef fat which was used for the Sunday roast and for all other fry when it became dripping

Loved big chunky chips fried in the open frying pan in dripping

Yum !! :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Aug 2019 19:37

Anybody care to comment on the concept of marmalade on fried bread?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Aug 2019 19:51

Might be OK if the bread was fried in butter/butter substitute or oil. Don't fancy it if it the bread was fried in pure animal fat/dripping.

Dip your slice of bread in a beaten egg before frying in butter & you've French Toast! Although it's ages since we did it, from memory it tasted sweet without the need for sugar.

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Aug 2019 20:49

You can be sure I would not be frying in dripping.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 11 Aug 2019 21:03

Sometimes when we are camping and have leftover baguette, we slice and fry it in olive oil, then eat with jam. Lovely.

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Aug 2019 21:10

grannyfranny I love you!

I also wonder how a thread about marmalade on fried bread managed to mention only bread and dripping!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Aug 2019 21:47

The speciality dessert of the father of a friend when he was cooking was an ordinary jam sandwich fried in butter and flipped to fry the other side.

Allan

Allan Report 11 Aug 2019 22:04

Sharron, I've not had fried bread for years now, but when a lot younger I loved it with marmalade on. It was the only way to finish a decent fried breakfast.

Obviously, back in those days, it was just your bog-standard white bread which was fried. :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 11 Aug 2019 22:06

I love a battered jam sandwich but ha never heard of fried bread and marmalade before.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 11 Aug 2019 22:11

Eggy bread for me. I used to cook it on pack holidays with the Brownies :-D :-D. Soak the bread in beaten egg then fry YUM :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 11 Aug 2019 22:14

Strange isn't it; the thoughts of a battered jam sandwich, to me, is quite revolting, yet once upon a time I did enjoy cheese and jam sandwiches. Just plain, not cooked :-S

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 12 Aug 2019 07:44

When I was at school we went through phases of butties (as they are known to me).

One phase was banana and Mars Bar - still occasionally have them.

Another was beef crisps (got to be beef) - still occasionally have them.

One I could not get away with at all was sugar butties - never have them.

While my Mum used slightly over-ripe bananas to make a banana loaf, I fry them with bacon to make a sandwich.

Interesting, the variety of words for sandwiches - I grew up knowing them (and still use the word) as butties.

A friend always uses the word 'sarnie'.

I was well-into adulthood before hearing someone from the Midlands describe them as piecees but I am not sure whether that applied only to a break-time sandwich or whether it was a piecee for all 24 hours. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Allan

Allan Report 12 Aug 2019 09:51

Butties in the North where I grew up. Still use that word now especial[[y whan talking about bacon or chip butties.

Sarnie is quite widespread here in WA. I can't comment on other areas.

I worked in the Manchester Town hall back in he mid sixties and one of the typists was always going on about chukkie butties; translation, egg sandwiches :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 12 Aug 2019 10:07

Chuckles' pumps was what a colleague called them. :-D

I think it was the smell of them .... :-0

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Aug 2019 10:11

I actually like the thought of fried bread with marmalade Sharron although I have never thought of doing it. The bread, I think would need to be crisp not soggy fried.

We often refer to sandwiches as butties but I think that comes from Oh's RN days. and strangely, in part of this area Butties can mean friends. Or more usually phrased as old Butt(which in itself could sound as though it referred to something else. But I think it is a phrase used long before americanisation of our language.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 12 Aug 2019 10:20

Brought up with butties in Scouseland, AnnG - from 75 years ago.

I have to say, though, that it's the first time I've heard it used for Friend. I like it, but then I think variety is the spice of life. :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Aug 2019 12:36

Sandwiches but occasional Sarnies amongst ourselves. Butties only when relating to a filling of chips or crisps.

Sugar sandwiches were a (very) occasional treat. Mashed bananas were a ‘nursery’ favourite. Our offspring used to have fish finger sandwiches for lunch long before they appeared on restaurant menus!

Don’t think any of the above would work made with fried bread. To my mind, fried bread equals savoury rather than sweet.