General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please keep your fingers crossed

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Sep 2019 17:47

My daughter lives in Nova Scotia, and is hunkering down as Hurricane Dorian is arriving this morning as a direct hit on the Halifax and eastern (Atlantic) side of the province. The winds are already high

It is expected to be either a low Category 2 or high Category 1 when it arrives .......... which actually means only a few mph difference in the strength of the winds.

They had another hurricane, Juan, land as a direct hit 17 years ago, and it did horrific damage so hoping this is not as bad.

Daughter is as well prepared as they can be ............. lots of food, propane for the BBQ, emergency supplies, everything brought in from outside, etc. Just hoping their car and tent trailer will be OK. They have been told that power could be out for 2-3 days, so currently have the BBQ in the kitchen so it won't blow away, then they will be able to cook hot food on the patio after the hurricane has blown through, hopefully tomorrow.

Rambling

Rambling Report 7 Sep 2019 17:55

Hope it is not as bad as predicted Sylvia, your daughter sounds well prepared though.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 7 Sep 2019 17:56

Hoping and praying all will be well Sylvia <3

'Emma'

'Emma' Report 7 Sep 2019 18:20

My thoughts and prayers with them all Sylvia.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Sep 2019 18:36

I hope that all will be well with them, Sylvia, and with you too because you will not rest easy until it's passed through.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Sep 2019 19:12

Thank you all.

Daughter and OH were there in 2003 when Hurricane Juan went through ........... but living in an apartment. They had just filled their small freezer with meat etc on a monthly shop when Juan hit. They were without power for about a week, while others were without for up to 3 weeks.

Luckily OH's parents didn't lose power, so daughter was able to send some frozen food over to their house, but they still lost a lot before they could actually get over to the in-laws.

I've just heard from her that electrical power is fluctuating so they are not making any other contact to conserve battery power in their cell phones.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 7 Sep 2019 19:35

How frightening for them, I too hope it passes without causing too much damage

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 7 Sep 2019 19:42

Fingers and everything else crossed for them Sylvia. I hope all will be well with them and the worst of it passes them by.. They sound as though they have made sensible preparations but I am sure that, like most mothers, you won't rest easy until you know everything is OK so my thoughts are with you too..

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Sep 2019 19:44

Thank you London Belle and Vera ............

yes, I am a little worried!!!!!!

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 Sep 2019 20:01

I too have relatives and friends there Sylvia, likewise they're hunkering down and hoping for the best!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Sep 2019 20:31

Caroline ............ fingers crossed for your friends and relatives also.

Daughter says the fear is that it will be at least as bad as Juan was :-(

Caroline

Caroline Report 7 Sep 2019 20:35

Thanks lets hope it isn't as bad.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 7 Sep 2019 20:45

Positive thoughts to your relations.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Sep 2019 20:49

Thanks maggie

Von

Von Report 7 Sep 2019 21:28

Thinking off you all Sylvia.
Thoughts of all those who are experiencing these awful storms <3 <3 <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 7 Sep 2019 21:58

Sylvia thinking of your daughter and family and hoping all will be well for them

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Sep 2019 06:59

Hoping all will be well for your family and others Sylvia, now that the storm has reached Canada.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 8 Sep 2019 11:23

with a suitable adaptor, and a car battery you can charge mobile fones from that.....a small solar panel would keep the battery charged

Caroline

Caroline Report 8 Sep 2019 12:45

Not much sunshine in the middle of a storm!

Barbra

Barbra Report 8 Sep 2019 12:58

Hope they are al okay <3