General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

VEGEMITE

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 29 Nov 2014 03:02

:-D

Forget spreading it on your toast........

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/aussie-cafes-create-unusual-recipes-using-vegemite/story-fn93ypt9-1227138110819

Macaroni & cheese with vegemite? :-0

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Nov 2014 03:45

oh

yuk!

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 29 Nov 2014 04:01

lolol

I'm not a great Vegemite fan...... a scrape is enough for me. DH lays it on so thick, you can see teethmarks! ewwwwwww

My favourite is vegemite on a toasted English muffin, with a poached egg on top. YUM or a scrape of vegemite on crackers, with cheese & tomato.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Nov 2014 05:11

I don't like vegemite at all ......... not even the tiniest scrape

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 29 Nov 2014 06:03

Marmite?

Someone told me the original name for vegemite was Pawill :-0

as in Marmite, but Pawill :-D

No idea how it got called Vegemite, there are no vegetables in it, it's a yeast extract.

badger

badger Report 29 Nov 2014 07:41

yeast is extracted from maltings ,a by product of beer production ,malt is a plant ,veggies ,lol .Fred.xxx :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Nov 2014 08:03

Love it and all its other mates by different names !! Ie supermarket own brands ,marmite etc .

On toast with cottage cheese on top is my favourite

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 29 Nov 2014 09:15

Can't get enough of it it goes in most recipes and same as LS's DH on toast no little scrape for me ,sometimes mixed with cheese spread Drool !!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D. Hmm just decided what I am having for breakfast

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Nov 2014 09:20

I found marmite flatbreads whilst on holiday - they're delicious.
I've spent the past 3 months trying to find some more :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 29 Nov 2014 09:23

Love marmite :-)

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 29 Nov 2014 09:45

Love all yeast extracts, cheers up the blandest foods

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 29 Nov 2014 09:48

I really don't fancy vegemite with mac n cheese :-( blah! :-0

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 29 Nov 2014 10:05

I think you have to be born an Ozzie to like Vegemite. Even though I am a great Marmite fan I cannot stand Vegemite.

I have heard that it is very effective as a shark repellent which if true would not surprise me.

In the UK Vegemite on the shelf is a sure sign of something.

Island

Island Report 29 Nov 2014 12:07

Vegemite with macaroni cheese sounds good to me.

Born in Blighty :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 29 Nov 2014 21:08

I was born in Scotland........... and I like vegemite, but only a wee bit. I'd never put it on haggis...... because I don't like haggis. :-)

I saw vegemite in some supermarkets in England, but never saw it in Scotland, but... I found it in Germany!

Rambling

Rambling Report 29 Nov 2014 21:15

I like marmite ( marmite cheese yum)

but vegemite is horrible, it tastes like dead sprouts ( I like sprouts but not the flat tasting dead ones ;-) )

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 29 Nov 2014 22:17

Funny thing is........ I never had Marmite when I lived in Scotland as a child.

I don't think I saw it in any of my rellies houses when I've visited as an adult.... that includes rellies in Scotland and England.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 29 Nov 2014 22:26

I am born and bred North London ( Not a bit of Ozzie in me ) and a great vegemite fan, can't stand Marmite :-P.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Nov 2014 22:31

We always had Marmite in the house when I was at home ................ Mum would add a small amount to stews, etc

I hadn't met Vegemite until we lived in OZ in 1975/76

tried it, didn't like it :-(

Florence61

Florence61 Report 29 Nov 2014 22:37

I was brought up on marmite with boiled egg and soldiers. Funny thing when i married and moved up here, none of my inlaws ate marmite. I got them to try it and they hated it!

However I treied veggimite years ago and it was awful more like Bovril...couldnt stand it.

Think Marmite is an English taste as I havent found any Scots who like it!

Florence
in the hebrides :-)