Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Francis Rafferty (My Great-Uncle)

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jun 2012 00:40

I am Darren my great-uncle Francis Rafferty was born in cregnaconroe Creggan Parish of Carrickmore Co.tyrone northern ireland. Francis Raferty was born in 07/02/1923 and left northern ireland to England and i have never heard from him since can anyone assist me?

patchem

patchem Report 5 Jun 2012 00:46

Did he have any middle names?
Do you know when he came to England?
Thanks.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Jun 2012 13:51

There are several deaths for that name but none of them give 7th February as the date of birth.

Kath. x

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jun 2012 13:59

Francis Rafferty may have arrived in England in 1940s. I know for a while he was working around the Shepherdsbush area. I believe he may have worked for a firm John Lang and company also believe he was a plasterer by trade. Some reports came back to his family in Ireland that he may also have been working in Wales.

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jun 2012 14:07

his father was called Bernard and his mother was called Mary Anne who both resided at Sultan Creggan Carrickmore Co.tyrone Northern ireland, i know he had 2 brothers and 1 sister who was my grandmother her name was Margaret.

patchem

patchem Report 5 Jun 2012 15:22

Do you know when he last made contact, and whether a wife was ever mentioned?
Thanks.

Unknown

Unknown Report 5 Jun 2012 18:33

Wife was never mentioned last made contact in the 1940s would have been a very young man at that time. Francis mother died at the age of 93 in 1981 and sadly waited everyday of her life hoping her son would come home or make contact again.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 6 Jun 2012 00:38

There's a Frank Rafferty who died during the war.

Rose

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2012 13:24

Could you give me anymore information on what you know about the Frank Raffety that died during the war and if possible who he was are where he came from? Thanks Darren

Potty

Potty Report 9 Jun 2012 14:18

From the Commonwealth War Graves Site:

RAFFERTY, FRANK
Service No:868656
Date of Death:30/03/1941
Regiment/Service:Royal Artillery
10 Bty., 7 H.A.A. Regt.,
Grave ReferenceColl. grave 5. 5. 5.
CemeteryPEMBROKE MILITARY CEMETERY

There was also a Francis Rafferty but he was probably too old:

RAFFERTY, FRANCIS
Date of Death:18/12/1940
Regiment/Service:Merchant Navy
S.S. Napier Star (London)
Panel ReferencePanel 72.
MemorialTOWER HILL MEMORIAL

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2012 21:04

I would like to thank you for this information however I checked it out and he was certainly alive after the war. Francis was to come to visit his parents in the late 40s however a friend of his had a fatal accident in England not sure where namely Patrick McGehone. Francis was intending coming home but after that accident he lost contact with his parents.

Janice

Janice Report 9 Jun 2012 22:34

The closest death I can find to that name is this one but it's 1950. Was the chap who died a similar age to Francis?

Name: Patrick McGeown
Birth Date: abt 1921
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1950
Age at Death: 29
Registration district: Birmingham
Inferred County: Warwickshire
Volume: 9c
Page: 321

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2012 22:41

Yes that is probably the man who was a friend of Francis he would be two years older than Francis could you find out cause of death or circumstances. could Francis Rafferty been at the inquest if there was one. thanks darren

Janice

Janice Report 9 Jun 2012 22:51

The only way to get the cause of death would be to buy the death certificate.

Do you know if Patrick was married? There is a marriage for a Patrick McGeown in Birmingham in 1941.

Edit: it looks like a double marriage - McGeown brothers marrying sisters. Does that ring any bells?

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2012 23:04

No he was single man never married, to the best of my knowledge McGeown apparently fell through a window which resulted in his death i wonder if any local papers may have listed the accident that happened to Patrick in the late 40s early 50s i will be fit to confirm tommorrow his exact date of death as i will ask one of his family members i live not far from the cemetery in which he was buried.

Janice

Janice Report 9 Jun 2012 23:07

Do any of the family members remember Francis or know what became of him?

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2012 23:12

Francis would be an uncle of my father and his family know nothing about what became of Francis all they knew was he was a plasterer by trade.

Janice

Janice Report 9 Jun 2012 23:24

I didn't mean Francis's family, I meant Patrick's - as they were good friends.

Unknown

Unknown Report 9 Jun 2012 23:32

I will be fit to talk to Patricks family tommorrow to find out the exact date of birth and what happened to him I will also ask Patricks family tommorrow what they know or remember hearing about francis. I think whatever happened to Patrick in the accident when he was brought back to northern ireland may have probably had an effect on Francis as all correspondence ceased from Francis after Patricks death. Francis was supposed to come back to northern ireland for chirstmas and he never did, the death cert for Patrick ties in with the event. I think there maybe a reason between the accident and Francis no repiles.

Janice

Janice Report 9 Jun 2012 23:37

Hope you get answers to some of your questions. Good luck with the search.