Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CURRANS. co.carlow

Page 0 + 1 of 7

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elaine

Elaine Report 19 Aug 2011 21:15

is there any way of tracing my in-laws,who were from CO.CARLOW?

Have found my husbands' grandfather MICHAEL CURRAN.,g/mother ELIZABETH(believe nee LAKES,from LEIGHLINBRIDGE.,CARLOW)

In 1901 irish census they lived at no.11 BOHERDUFF.,FENNAGH.,CARLOW,with sons CHARLES and JOHN(my late father-in-law)and daughters FRANCES(Fanny).,CATHERINE(Katie)and MARY.

In 1911 censusthey lived at no.12 BOHERDUFF.

There were also neighbours in BOHERDUFF...THOMAS & JOHN CURRAN.

How would I go about finding out if these two Currans were related to Michael?

Would appreciate any help at all.

mgnv

mgnv Report 19 Aug 2011 22:35

The GRO(I) index thru 1958 (excl N. Ireland post-partition) is available at:
https://www.familysearch.org/s/collection/list#page=1®ion=EUROPE

One can purchase certs (or cheaper still, the uncertified images of the rego) via:
http://www.groireland.ie/

Most City of Dublin parish registers are free online at:
http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/
[There are also Carlow, Cork & Kerry OPRs there too]

Elaine

Elaine Report 19 Aug 2011 23:36

thankyou mgnv...have clicked on all above,but no joy. :-S

have found a family tree here on GR,that has Michael,b 1849(correct date)..there also a Thomas,b1851, and a John,b1856(both names mentioned as living beside Michael in 1901 & 1911 censuses.

there also named,two more boys..James,b1858 and Joseph,b1869,and four girls..Hannah,b1854.,Ellen,b1860.,Bridget,b1862 and Mary,b1864.

these dates would fit with Michaels' age

mgnv

mgnv Report 20 Aug 2011 17:13

Well, all but Joseph were born too early to appear in index. Is there no mention of Joseph and/or your gparents marr?

Elaine

Elaine Report 20 Aug 2011 23:42

don't know anything at all about Leos' family(and neither does he...he was the youngest of 8children+twins who died just after birth)

His mother died when he was 2 and his dad died when he was 5..he was raised by his sister.

I have had SHEDLOADS of help from people on GR in tracing my own family,so I thought I would keep the hubby sweet by tracing his family!!lol

I have got to his gt g/dad on his mothers' side(Aughneys),but still with his g/dad curran(unless the tree I mentioned finding on GR has the same Michael Curran,cos it gives his prents as William Curran b1831 and Bridget b1831)

Joy

Joy Report 23 Aug 2011 21:46

Try exploring, and posting (free) here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,53.0.html

Elaine

Elaine Report 23 Aug 2011 23:30

thankyou Joy..will do.x :-)

Elaine

Elaine Report 25 Aug 2011 23:17

still hoping someone new sees things with fresh eyes!

Joy

Joy Report 26 Aug 2011 00:09

Did you post in rootschat?

Elaine

Elaine Report 26 Aug 2011 19:50

i did..as soon as you told me...no replies yet tho

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 6 Sep 2011 03:44

just to summarize the essential information

in 1911

Curran Michael >>> 62 9 Boherduff (50 in 1901)
Curran Thomas >>> 80 12 Boherduff (70 in 1901)
Curran John >>> 64 13 Boherduff (52 in 1901)

when asking about the possible relationship between people it is kind of important to know what their ages are

so it looks possible that Michael and John are brothers ? and Thomas could conceivably be their father

Thomas does have children aged 26, 28 and 30 in 1901 ( none named Michael or John at least ! )

I don't know what fresh eyes could find that you don't have access to ?

how have you identified Michael's wife as Elizabeth Lakes ?

this is the only marriage that would fit at all in county Carlow and there is no matching Michael Curran marriage

Name: Eliza Lakes
Registration District: Carlow
Event Type: MARRIAGES
Registration Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1890
Film Number: 101256
Volume Number: 3
Page Number: 289
Digital Folder Number: 4179388
Image Number: 00275

this might be the most likely Michael Curran marriage and you could always get the certificate to see who the father is

Name: Michael Curran
Event Type: MARRIAGES
Registration Quarter and Year: 1872
Film Number: 101251
Volume Number: 18
Page Number: 349
Digital Folder Number: 4179384
Image Number: 00553

you might want to get a birth certificate for one of the children first to have the wife's / mother's name

this one could be a safe bet for the son who was 10 in1901

Name: Charles Curran
Event Type: BIRTHS
Registration Quarter and Year: Jul - Sep 1891
Film Number: 101063
Volume Number: 3
Page Number: 319
Digital Folder Number: 4193977
Image Number: 00515

Joy

Joy Report 6 Sep 2011 11:35

I cannot see your post in rootschat. However, did you see this?:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,414508.0.html

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 6 Sep 2011 13:39

Joy I think that is where Elaine posted :-)

reading that reminded me of why I was just saying to someone on another site that I had never warmed to rootschat ... 'i can pass on more information, it's up to you, but i will require as much info, right up to the present day of of what you know of patricks descendants' ...

that's treating family history like trading-cards ... myself I do not give out information about living people for starters, I certainly have no idea whether all my cousins want me sending their info to strangers. I am interested to know my fellow descendants but I do not 'require' all their cousins' details before I will share information about our ancestors !

Joy

Joy Report 6 Sep 2011 17:20

Ah, I see - a posting on someone else's thread, not on her own :)

There is a reply there for you, Elaine :)

Each to their own, chrissie.

Elaine

Elaine Report 6 Sep 2011 19:52

chrissiex....was trying to find LIZZIE(elizabeth)LAKES,but to no avail....my sister-in-law gave me the name.

CHARLES IS a son..he was the brother of my late father-in-law,JOHN CURRAN.

We were down in Kildare and Carlow a couple of weeks ago,and visited my husbands' first cousin,JOE,son of Charles.

Three sisters ROSE,MAY and ESTHER(Hester)BRIEN married two brothers and a first cousin....MICHAEL(Mick)and JOHN-JOSEPH(John-Joe)>sons of John and JOSEPH(son of Charles)

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 6 Sep 2011 19:57

so does that mean you are going to get the birth certificate of Charles to find out who his mother was ? :-)

your last paragraph ... I assume the men named are all Currans ... but that doesn't help find who Charles's father was related to !

Elaine

Elaine Report 6 Sep 2011 20:23

Help!!..just been onto Rootschat,and it said I had no messages....didn't realize I had posted on someone elses!
Now I can't find WHOSE I posted on,to check the reply!

Haven't been able to link our MICHAEL CURRAN(b.c1850)with JOHN or THOMAS,except for the place Boherduff,which I have been told by relatives,was the home place.

Our Michael was married to ELIZABETH(nee Lakes)
They had 2 sons CHARLES(b.c1885)JOHN(my late f-in-l.,1892--1952)and 3 daughters FANNY(Frances)(b.c1894)CATHERINE(b.c1895)and MARY(b.c1899)
Apparently Mary married a boxer called O'Sullivan.

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 6 Sep 2011 20:49

Elaine, just go to the link Joy put in her post, I believe you have to go to page 2 of that thread

in the 1901 census was son Charles Curran not 10 yrs old ? ... I am not going back to check ! ... that was why I suggested the 1891 birth certificate ...

Elaine if you can identify your Michael Curran's wife by her name on a child's birth certificate it could be possible to identify his marriage to her

the certificate for that marriage should state Michael's father's name

that is the only way you are going to start to get the information you need to try to establish a connection with the other Currans in the location as far as I can see, certainly no one here knows the answers !

unless someone like the person at rootschat has already done all the research and provides it to you

Elaine

Elaine Report 6 Sep 2011 21:38

seems to be discrepancies in ages on 1901 and 1911 censuses!

11,Boherduff.,Fennagh.,Carlow.
head Michael Curran(50)
wife Elizabeth Curran(38)
son Charles Curran(10)
son John Curran(8)
dau.Fransces Curran(7)
dau.Catherin Curran(5)
dau.Mary Curran(2)

12,Boherduff.,Fennagh.,Carlow

head Michael Curran(62)
wife Elizabeth Curran(50)
son.Charles Curran(26)...maybe transcribed as 26 instead of 20?
son John Curran(19)
dau.fanny Curran(17)
dau.Catherine Curran(16)
dau.Mary Curran(12)

Elaine

Elaine Report 27 Sep 2011 16:04

now know that Michael Curran,(Boherduff) DID marry Elizabeth Lakes,from Leighlinbridge.

have a copy of their grave in Newtown.,Co.Carlow.

Michael died 23rd Jan.1922,aged 73 and Elizabeth died 17th August.1928,aged 65.

Also burried with them,is their g/daughter,Bridget.

Even though I have this info.....WHY when i put either of their names into a search,it comes up with NO RESULTS?!!