Help Centre - Frequently Asked Questions
Complete FAQ Listing
- I need an instant password reminder/ I can't login
- How do I print my tree?
- How do I delete my tree?
- How do I view trees that have been shared with me?
- How do I stop my subscription/ renewal payment before it is due?
- How much are pay-per-view credits?
- What is the Keepsafe?
- Where are my Hot Matches?
- How do I import or export a gedcom file?
- How do I get a password reminder?
- Trouble signing in/ login details not accepted
- I have a new email address - how do I update my membership?
- I have multiple registrations with my email address, do I need to do anything?
- Why can't I create another membership with my email address?
- Please remove me from your mailing list
- I want to delete my registration
- I seem to have more than one registration
- How do I update my message board profile?
- How do I make the text bigger or smaller on my screen?
- Online safety
- How much does it cost?
- How can I pay?
- I DON'T WANT TO RENEW my subscription - how do I cancel it?
- How do I change the card I pay with?
- When will you renew my subscription?
- Why has my renewal payment failed?
- I would like a refund of the payment that I made
- I want to change my subscription
- I'd like to pay by cheque
- What is the Keepsafe?
- What can I add to my Keepsafe?
- How do I add something to my Keepsafe?
- What file types do you accept?
- What are My Folders?
- What are edit, attach and move?
- How do I attach an item to someone in my tree?
- How do I share an item with another member?
- How do I search the photos and media?
- Can I add someone else’s item to my Keepsafe?
- Can I add records to my Keepsafe?
- What happens when I attach an item to a relative?
- The image I want to see is blurred.
- Can I print out items from my Keepsafe?
- How do I print out my family tree?
- Why can't I see all of my shared trees on my dashboard?
- Why can't I see the 'Save' tab on my details panel?
- Why am I returned to the root person when I search for a name in my tree?
- How do I add a name to my tree?
- How do I save changes after I've added a relation or amended their details?
- How do I edit details already in my tree?
- How do I remove someone from my tree?
- How do I change the parents of someone in my tree?
- How do I change my root person/tree owner?
- Where are my relation's photos and notes?
- How do I view other trees?
- How can I view the records I've attached to my relations?
- What is the List view?
- Deleting your Family Tree
- Building your Family Tree
- Viewing your Family Tree
- Printable Charts
- Living relatives
- Privatising your Family Tree
- Tree permissions
- Which Census records do you have?
- Searching all records - NEW!
- Where are the Parish records? NEW!
- Scottish Census records
- Which BMD records do you have?
- Which Military records do you have?
- Which Parish records do you have?
- Which British Newspapers do you have?
- Which Travel and Migration records do you have?
- British Newspaper Archive
- Scottish and Irish records
- Using the Birth/Marriage/Death records - UPDATED
- Attaching and removing census images
- Automatic matching
- How much do records cost?
- Ordering certificates
- What are the Electoral Roll records?
- 1871 census information for Wales
- Saving the records
- Reporting errors with records
- Searching the census - UPDATED
When you contact a member through the site we send the message on your behalf to the other member's inbox on the site. We also send them a message to their registered email address letting them know they have a new message. They can then log in to the site and reply to your message. Any replies will be sent to your inbox in the Genes Reunited Messages Centre. You will also receive a message from us if you have received a reply in your own inbox. We do this for two reasons. Firstly, so that your contact details are never revealed and secondly, if the person’s own details are out of date the message will still be there when they return to the Genes Reunited site.
You can send attachments with your messages. These include photos and documents.When you compose your message you'll see the option to add attachments to it.
All messages are kept within the site and so all messages sent arrive instantly to your Genes Reunited inbox. Please click on Messages at the top of the page to view your contact with other members. On the left hand side of the page you'll see subsequent links to your inbox, sent messages and your list of contacts.
The My Contacts section will list everyone you have been in touch with on the site. These will appear in chronological order, with the name of the member who has contacted you and the relative it is about, highlighted. Clicking on the name of the member will also give you a list of all the emails you have exchanged.
We do realise how frustrating it is if you don't receive a reply to an email you have sent. Some members may have changed their email address, but not changed it on the site. This will mean that emails from us letting them know they have a new message will be going to their old email address. There is no time limit for how long messages are allowed to stay on a member’s registration and will be seen when the member you have written to logs in again.
If you wish to contact another member you must either have a paid subscription or pay per view credits. It costs 30 credits to send a message.
Download our eBook
Whether you're new to family history or you've been researching your tree for some time, download our free eBook for hint and tips on how to get the best out of Genes Reunited.
Trace your living relatives
Whether you want to trace living relatives, plan a reunion or find out how to use Genes Reunited to find family links, download our guide for more information.
Build your family tree
You can build your family tree for free so be sure to add as many names as you can. Contact other members who have added the same names as you and watch your tree grow.
Electoral Roll records
Looking for living relatives?
Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.