Help Centre - Frequently Asked Questions
Complete FAQ Listing
- How do I delete my tree?
- How do I import or export a gedcom file?
- How do I print my tree?
- How do I unsubscribe?
- How do I view trees that have been shared with me?
- How much are pay-per-view credits?
- I have forgotten my password
- What is the Keepsafe?
- Where are my Hot Matches?
- Why isn't the clipboard working?
- How do I get a password reminder? (UPDATED)
- I am having problems signing in (UPDATED)
- I have multiple registrations with my email address, do I need to do anything? (NEW)
- Why can't I create another membership with my email address? (NEW)
- How do I update my details?
- Please remove me from your mailing list
- I want to delete my registration
- I seem to have more than one registration
- How do I update my message board profile?
- How do I make the text bigger or smaller on my screen?
- Online safety
- What is the Keepsafe?
- What can I add to my Keepsafe?
- How do I add something to my Keepsafe?
- What file types do you accept?
- What are My Folders?
- What are edit, attach and move?
- How do I attach an item to someone in my tree?
- How do I share an item with another member?
- How do I search the photos and media?
- Can I add someone else’s item to my Keepsafe?
- Can I add records to my Keepsafe?
- What happens when I attach an item to a relative?
- The image I want to see is blurred.
- Can I print out items from my Keepsafe?
- Old tree - can I still access my old tree ? NEW
- Old tree - removed why? NEW
- Unable to view the whole of the dashboard NEW
- Unable to see the whole of my details panel NEW
- Unable to search my tree NEW
- Adding a relation to my tree NEW
- How do I save changes after I've added a relation or amended their details? NEW
- Editing names in the tree NEW
- Deleting a relative in my tree NEW
- Changing parents on tree NEW
- How do I change my root person/tree owner? NEW
- Where are my relation's photos and notes? NEW
- How do I view other trees? NEW
- My tree won't load NEW
- Tree error 503
- Where are my attached records? NEW
- Why can't I see the 'View other trees' link?NEW
- List view-what is it? NEW
- Deleting your Family Tree
- Building your Family Tree
- Viewing your Family Tree
- Printable Charts
- Living relatives
- Printing your Family Tree
- Privatising your Family Tree
- Tree permissions
- Which Census records do you have?
- Scottish Census records NEW
- Which BMD records do you have?
- Which Military records do you have?
- Which Parish records do you have?
- Which British Newspapers do you have?
- Which Travel and Overseas records do you have?
- British Newspaper Archive
- Scottish and Irish records
- Using the Birth/Marriage/Death records-UPDATED
- Searching the census - UPDATED
- Attaching and removing census images
- Automatic matching
- My Favourites
- How much do records cost?
- Where's the Search Records tab? - NEW
- 1871 census information for Wales
- Reporting errors with records
- Ordering certificates
- Saving the records
British Newspaper Archive
If you are having problems finding matches with names you are searching for then we have some ideas to help you. The word which you enter into the search field is not specified. If, for example, you were searching the surname Briar, you would receive any article containing that word and this could be when the word is a surname but could also be a horticultural reference.
When you enter a word or words as part of your search, the results you receive will include every article that the word / words appear in. Although when you see these results, and depending upon what has been entered, there will appear to be a high number, it is because every resulting article contains the word you have searched. You can narrow down the results using the filters or the 'Amend Search' box on the left hand side of the page.
So, we suggest that if the results aren't very accurate at first then please try entering a few more specific words.
Trace your living relatives
Whether you want to trace living relatives, plan a reunion or find out how to use Genes Reunited to find family links, download our guide for more information.
Build your family tree
You can build your family tree for free so be sure to add as many names as you can. Contact other members who have added the same names as you and watch your tree grow.